Windows Server 2019?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Vexxis

Windows Server 2019?

Post by Vexxis »

Just wondering if anyone is running under Windows Server 2019 and/or VMware ESXi and what caveats or gotchas I might encounter? I did a search before asking this and found some problems with the service just stopping but I wouldn't be surprised that was more of an overall Windows thing and not Server 2019 specific?

I have an old HP Z600 I upgraded to dual Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz (12 cores/24 hyper threads) running VMware ESXi with a Windows Server 2019 instance (in addition to a dozen other things) so why not throw a couple of cores at it? :)
Anyone else ever do this? I'm thinking I can "reserve" enough CPU for my VoIP system (Asterisk) that audio doesn't get all choppy when it has to transcode but I'm use to virtualizing things because they sit there doing nothing for most of the day so I don't have much experience with how well the ESXi scheduler really works under that kind of load? I certainly plan to configure a second network card that is used only for the camera network.

Thanks in advance!
Matts1984

Re: Windows Server 2019?

Post by Matts1984 »

I'm running Server 2019 (it's basically Windows 10 with server features) on VMWare ESXi 6.5 and I haven't really had any issues at all. I'm sure you can read my signature but the host has dual X5650's and i allocate 10 cores to this VM. I do have a couple other - much simpler/smaller VMs. Intel hardware acceleration works just fine in Blue Iris. I have heard that using GPU acceleration can be tricky with VMWare but my server (an old ProLiant) definitely doesn't have any fancy GPU installed. I'm completely happy with it as is though.

I know on the 'other' forum there is a lot of negative perspective on using VMWare or running ANYTHING other than Windows 10 but I think that is really short sightedness and ignorance as to what virtualization is actually capable of. While I have 10 cores allocated to my VM, it typically runs under 10% load with max spike to something in the 20's (the other VMs use 1 or 2 cores each and run nearly idle). I probably don't need to allocate so many but I'd rather use all the cores at low power than use some at high power. RAM utilization for BI typically (for me) is under 1GB so I don't have a whole lot allocated to the system. Disk space - the more the merrier. My server utilizes cheap 3.5" drives so I have 12 - 1TB drives in it at (I think) RAID6 and then 7TB for BI storage, which with my 9 cameras recording 24x7 gets me about 3-4 weeks (still toying with that, I recently added cams 7-9).

Definitely recommend the second vNIC!!!
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
Vexxis

Re: Windows Server 2019?

Post by Vexxis »

Thanks so much! That's very helpful.
I'll definitely have to give it a go then.