Cameras keep going off and on line

General discussion about Blue Iris
samiam

Cameras keep going off and on line

Post by samiam »

I just replaced my old hardware with a new system. Basically a rip/replace with same IP, network config etc. Everything worked great except that my cameras keep randomly dropping out all at once for about 5 seconds and then reconnecting. It is a dedicated hardwired network (access via wireless adapter on server) so nothing else is on this network besides cameras. I ran continuous pings to two of the cameras that are dropping (all 5 drop at the same time) and pings never drop which tells me the network is at least not dropping. The switch is a gigabit switch and interface is gig as well. stats on BI seem fine except disk. CPU 9%, mem 21%, disk 98% constant. I had all cameras on continuous recording and dropped them to triggered to see if that did anything but it made no difference. Is there any kind of logging that could help me here before I dig out wireshark? I am at a bit of a loss. Everything has been rebooted to no avail.

thanks for any ideas on this!

-scott
TimG

Re: Cameras keep going off and on line

Post by TimG »

Hi, did it do the same with the previous hardware ? Is the pc the only change ? This is one of those where we may need to see hundreds of settings to try to assist you. It does look like a network issue as you state you lose all five cameras at the same time.

What happens if you disable four cameras ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
samiam

Post by samiam »

Hey Tim,
I actually did that last night and same issue occurred. I ran one camera. I found the error that it showed on the web interface but I forgot to write it down. It was like 274c which said was a network problem. Odd to me that running the -t pings never dropped once when this occurred. It is the only thing that was replaced. I am back on my original system for today while I investigate this. I need to dig up one of my wifi cameras I was running on the WIFI network and see what happens there. It might give me an indication of where to look closer.
samiam

Post by samiam »

latest update - spun up a wifi camera on it and it has been running fine all morning. old system back online with wired network and it is fine. really odd problem. i don't think it is my network. i connected this pc to my other wired network and ran multiple tests with no issues. when i did a packet capture while it was dropping cameras i saw no errors but everytime it dropped i saw all cameras send a dns request to 8.8.8.8 for mypad.local or something. they are hikvision. prolly trying to reach back out to the "motherland".... ;)
samiam

Post by samiam »

got it working. put a small hub between pc and my switch. guess my nic did not like talking to my switch for some reason.
Crowemag552

Post by Crowemag552 »

Sounds like you may have an onboard Realtek NIC. They're getting harder to find, but see if you can find an Intel PRO series NIC if you have an available slot. Realtek is crap, but since they're cheap, so manufacturers love them.
JC