Ghosting - I think this is what this artifact is called - anyone esle struggle with this?

General discussion about Blue Iris
HeneryH

Ghosting - I think this is what this artifact is called - anyone esle struggle with this?

Post by HeneryH »

I've tinkered with various settings but I hate doing random changes without understanding the exact impacts.

I've set both the i-frame and the fps to 10 in the cameras. By the way, what are the units on the i-frame number? Obviously frame rate is in frames per second. I know the general idea is that i-frames are like full content frames then a group after that i-frame has only change data but if the i-frame is the same as the fps then that makes no sense. I must be confused on the units for i-frame.

terk

Re: Ghosting - I think this is what this artifact is called - anyone esle struggle with this?

Post by terk »

I had that issue at one point, it would disappear if I turned off the GPU option. The issue was the video driver I had installed at that time, I went to an older driver (7 series CPU) and the issue went away even with the GPU option selected. I then locked Windows from trying to update the video driver and haven't had an issue since.
spammenotinoz

Re: Ghosting - I think this is what this artifact is called - anyone esle struggle with this?

Post by spammenotinoz »

HeneryH wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm I've tinkered with various settings but I hate doing random changes without understanding the exact impacts.

I've set both the i-frame and the fps to 10 in the cameras. By the way, what are the units on the i-frame number? Obviously frame rate is in frames per second. I know the general idea is that i-frames are like full content frames then a group after that i-frame has only change data but if the i-frame is the same as the fps then that makes no sense. I must be confused on the units for i-frame.

I have had this previously, with 3 different causes;
a) Bit Rate set too low on the camera
b) Recording Target was too slow (in my case I was using a Green SSD, swapped it out for a 7200rpm drive fixed the issue
c) Have had this using H\W decoding after 12 or so hours

FYI: iFrame set to the Frame rate makes a lot of sense, eg: A Frame rate of 20 and an iFrame of 20, results in a single iFrame (key frame) every second (ie: 1 in 20), not 20 iFrames a second.