Privacy and Security Issues with Blue Iris Question

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

Re: Privacy and Security Issues with Blue Iris Question

Post by Thixotropic »

SolarEclipse wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:27 pm We are on our own in my town.
The fact is that you're on your own in every town. I EDC for almost 4 decades now so I have a little experience. :)

But anyway.... I think he wants the PC to be in a kiosk-style mode, where people can look but not mess with the controls. I think that would be a handy feature- a transparent screen lock that would prompt for a password when woken.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yeah something like that was more prevalent in Windows XP days but then Microsoft decided (generally speaking - I'd say wisely) that if the computer was locked it was safe to assume the user was away and thus, for security, the desktop should be obscured.

There are options (none free that don't have major caveats to my knowledge) like https://www.e-motional.com/TScreenLock.htm but then you're adding another piece.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Matts1984 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:22 pmThere are options (none free that don't have major caveats to my knowledge) like https://www.e-motional.com/TScreenLock.htm but then you're adding another piece.
I tried the "Invisble.Lock.Screen.scr" screensaver that's on github but couldn't get it to unlock, lol.

The TScreenLock seems okay, but as you said it's another piece to have to muck about with.

Still, a "kiosk mode" seems very useful to me, I may look into having a buddy write something like the "Invisble.Lock.Screen.scr" screensaver.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS