Hey Everyone, quick question on a processor.

General discussion about Blue Iris
TheDude12345

Hey Everyone, quick question on a processor.

Post by TheDude12345 »

Hey Everyone, Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, Quick question for you all. I ran out of money after purchasing 7 Reolink 5mp cameras. In hopes of getting the computer. I finally have enough money to finish the computer build I've been wanting to do. Trying to take advantage of the black friday event as best I can. Knowing that if I run Blue Iris I need to use the Intel processor. Would this black friday event processor do the job? Would I be limiting myself on motherboard purchase in the future? Thanks for any insight and opinions on this. Thanks!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-core ... Id=6411488

Also would this be overkill for storage, with running 8 cameras running?

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo- ... 6820147744
Thixotropic

Re: Hey Everyone, quick question on a processor.

Post by Thixotropic »

The processor you picked, the Core i7-10700K, should be more than enough for 8 cameras with plenty of room to spare.

As for storage, that depends on how many cams, the resolution, if they're triggered or continuous, etc.

Depending on how long you want to keep the video available, I think 2GB should be enough to start with.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TheDude12345

Post by TheDude12345 »

Thanks Thixotropic for the reply and info.

Sounds good. Yea, ideally i'd like to have them run continuous or at least 3 of the 8. The others can be motion activated. At a minimum I'd like 30 days of backup before rewriting over. But Ideally 3 months would be nice.

Trying to do a piece by piece build using big sale events to hopefully get the best bang for my buck. Am I painting myself into a corner with those 2 purchases ie: solid state drive and the processor when it comes to motherboard options? Best kind of memory to get for the security suite? I was think 16gb's as well? Maybe more? Thanks for the input, I've been out of the game for a while on building my own tower setup. Appreciate any and all opinions and advice.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

In order to take advantage of overclocking (the k version of any processor) you need to have a MoBo Chipset that allows it.

If you don't, the CPU will still work but just without overclocking.
louyo

Post by louyo »

FWIIW: we run 11 cameras, 15FPS, 2MP, 24/7. With 2ea 6TB drives, we get about 6 weeks of storage. An older Optiplex with quad core I7 runs 25-30% CPU.

Lou