Password Length Limit

SuperDave57

Password Length Limit

Post by SuperDave57 »

Does anyone know if in Blue Iris settings for a camera, there is a limit to the number of characters allowed for the password? I'm having issues getting a camera to work with rtsp settings in Blue Iris that work fine within VLC as a network stream. The camera has a password (that I can't change) that is forty characters long and I wonder if that might be the issue. Thanks for any input.

Dave
Matts1984

Re: Password Length Limit

Post by Matts1984 »

Don't know the answer to your question but just had to post - WOW a 40 character password that you can't change. I have some cameras that max out at 12 characters and don't allow longer. Thats crazy for a device that is inherently insecure anyway.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
SuperDave57

Post by SuperDave57 »

Matts1984 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:33 pm Don't know the answer to your question but just had to post - WOW a 40 character password that you can't change. I have some cameras that max out at 12 characters and don't allow longer. Thats crazy for a device that is inherently insecure anyway.
Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous! I should have researched the darn thing a bit more before I bought it but any cams I had looked at earlier were either too large for my area to mount or they needed cloud storage and an account to store recordings and I didn't want that. I saw this one which didn't need account and was small enough so I bought it. Because it's a Vera product the installation takes place all within Vera and there's only a few things you can change from there. It also doesn't have a web interface so no way to login and make any changes (including the ridiculous password) that way!

Then after I bought it I realized it's basically a clone of one of several different company's cameras, many of which do have http support and web interface for setup.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

SuperDave57 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:27 pmThe camera has a password (that I can't change) that is forty characters long
That's not a password, that's a backdoor.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

True that....

Kinda curious if you don't mind asking, what brand/model camera is this?
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
SuperDave57

Post by SuperDave57 »

Thixotropic wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:52 pm
SuperDave57 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:27 pmThe camera has a password (that I can't change) that is forty characters long
That's not a password, that's a backdoor.
Good point!
SuperDave57

Post by SuperDave57 »

Matts1984 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 pm True that....

Kinda curious if you don't mind asking, what brand/model camera is this?
It's the VistaCam 1200 doorbell camera by Vera. I use a Vera controller with lots of home automation stuff, not why I bought it, just how I found out about it. I have two IP cameras outside my house that cover the front yard and driveway I use with Blue Iris. My front door is in an alcove and I've wanted to add a doorbell camera for awhile but didn't wat any kind of subscription model and also needed it to be no wider than two inches or so. I wasn't really looking for anything made by Vera but I had never found any camera that met these specs so I quit looking a while back. I recently saw the announcement about the VistaCam, ordered it then found out it's basically a clone to several others, same size, same price, etc. If I had it to do over I would have picked one of the others so I would have more control. This one installs through the Vista app, has no http access, and no way to change setting such as password, among other things!