Does BI5 allow users to reset their own passwords yet?

HeneryH

Does BI5 allow users to reset their own passwords yet?

Post by HeneryH »

Or must I still create them myself and share it with them?

Does saying that outloud sound as technically incompetent to you as it does to me?

Literally making one person share a password with another and not allowing only the owner to set it and be the only one to know it.
TimG

Re: Does BI5 allow users to reset their own passwords yet?

Post by TimG »

Well it's a free(ish) world, and I will disagree on this one :shock:

If I own this cctv system, and give a username and password to somebody else, it is so they can view images and recordings that are held only on my system. Their inability to change that password doesn't affect their privacy in any way, as all they can view is what I have allowed them to view. Clearly different if I was giving somebody an email address on my personal www domain, as in that case, I would be able to view and read their private emails if they didn't change it.

I would have already shown a lot of trust in "somebody else" by even giving them a log in account on my system. Your example could lead to me not being able to delete "somebody elses" account on my own system, as I don't know the password.

But IF Ken did make this change, you would need to upgrade to BI5 :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

@Tim , I am not giving them admin rights and I can control who has access to each camera.

@IamTeaf, Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. And I need to keep a either a cheat sheet of assigned credentials or I need to make them blatantly obvious.

I just can't get over that no one else sees the problem with me as a sys admin of the system creating credentials and giving them to users who cannot change them.

I let my clients add their own cameras to my system. If they put a camera in their boat, then that is something only they have access to. But all of my users have the same credentials: the first part of their email address before the '@' as both user and pw.

Why bother with user accounts if you are going to do is incorrectly.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I let my clients add their own cameras to my system. If they put a camera in their boat, then that is something only they have access to.
Ah, the old completely different way of using BI routine eh :lol: That changes things a lot from a standard home or business user who lets a few extra people view the footage.

Did you ever talk to Ken about this ? You may need to find a few like minded people to get it on the road map though.
Forum Moderator.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Is BI primarily targeted for home users?

Completely different way of using it?

BI has an insecure and unacceptable way of creating user accounts.

Period.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Is BI primarily targeted for home users?

Completely different way of using it?
Hi HeneryH, you are misunderstanding my logic. I think that cctv systems in general will be a centralised system with cameras on the outside edges, but only one main user, hence there is not much need for super secure user accounts. A large business would have a cctv control room, although they may give remote access so that the Boss can view it in his office. As I understand it, BI follows that same method, and does it well.

Individual clients with boats who can only view their own camera but are all connected to the centralised system ? That is where I am saying you have a different way of using it - and I can see that you would need a different security method to the totally centralised system.

Have a chat with Ken, and see what he thinks.
Forum Moderator.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Is that fenderman?