The solution to many of life's little problems

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

The solution to many of life's little problems

Post by Thixotropic »

Check it out: Ethernet over powerline for the home.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV600-Po ... 00HSQAIQU/
tplinkAV600.png
tplinkAV600.png (147.13 KiB) Viewed 9725 times
Okay, so maybe it's not the end-all, be-all solution to everything but this gadget like it will solve some of the cable-pulling issues I'm facing. I've seen these before but recently started looking at them again. Using one of these would save me running about 100ft of CAT5 through some really troublesome areas.

3500 people give it a 4.1 star rating, so I think I'll grab one and give it a whirl. For under$50 it might just save me a lot of aggravation.

I'm actually worried that it'll work too well and then I'll be tempted to start using them all over the place (lol), but I'll try one and see what happens. (I really like using Ethernet with the Foscam R2 PTZ cams, they connect instantly and never drop signal.)
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Re: The solution to many of life's little problems

Post by MikeBwca »

These work quite well. I've been using TrendNet's 'Powerline 1200 AV2 Access Point' adapters. 1.2gig, dual band 2.5 & 5, 3 ethernet ports.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

This is good to know. I wish the devices also provided PoE to the end device. There are some that do, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerli ... 0796ZJPJ7/

MikeBwca wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:00 am These work quite well. I've been using TrendNet's 'Powerline 1200 AV2 Access Point' adapters. 1.2gig, dual band 2.5 & 5, 3 ethernet ports.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Thixotropic wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:24 pm This is good to know. I wish the devices also provided PoE to the end device. ...
You could use a POE Injector/Splitter on that powerline.

On one camera I use a TrendNet Injector & Splitter...
Injector: https://www.trendnet.com/products/PoE/G ... E-113GI-v3
Splitter: https://www.trendnet.com/products/PoE/G ... E-104GS-v2

The splitter has 3 voltage settings, 5v, 9, 12v.
They changed them since I got them. Mine has 4 voltage settings, 5, 7.5, 9, 12.
CommonSenseAl

Post by CommonSenseAl »

I've used these with mixed results.

It can greatly depend on your wiring.

And never expect to get the advertised speeds. Real speeds are usually MUCH lower.
Check out my Blue Iris managed Skycam https://tetrion.com/skycam/
TimG

Post by TimG »

I think they can't possibly be full duplex like ethernet cable, so there will be some performance loss. I use a pair of them with my Foscam, and I'm not impressed. I will hard wire the next house. When I can find the right one 8-)
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
scoob8000

Post by scoob8000 »

I've had mixed results with these too. Not this particular brand, but powerline adapters in general.

They are not as good as a true wired connection, but they are better than wireless in my experience.
kayfersmum

Post by kayfersmum »

We’ve just ordered some TP Link Passthrough Powerline Adapters to go with the new TP Link router we’ve installed today. 🤞 we can reduce a few of the wifi devices in our home!
TimG

Post by TimG »

I recently figured out that I could use different makes on the same network by using the 16 digit code. Two of my cameras presently use these, so at least I know what to reboot when those two cameras stop working :?
Forum Moderator.
TimG

Post by TimG »

To make that point clear, I have some TPLink sockets, and some Devolo sockets. I believe the trick is to use sockets of a similar speed, so they speak the same language = HomePlug AV. You can then manually add the sockets to the other network using the GUI and by adding the 16 digit code.

I thought I had two sets of two incompatible sockets, but I now use them with one socket plugged in to my second NIC to give powerline ethernet access to three cameras.
Forum Moderator.