How to "black out" part of the screen from camera view

PrimaryInc

How to "black out" part of the screen from camera view

Post by PrimaryInc »

Hi Community,

I've tried to find out if BI have the option to "black out" a part of the live view and recording?
For an example, in my view I can see my neighbours house.
Now I can position my camera not to capture that hour, but that makes me miss out of part of my own property I want to include.
Therefore I want to be able to "censor" out or put a black box over that areas I don't want to view or record.

Now I know I can sette trigger area, and use area of interest (AOI is not granular enough either). But it stil don't hinder me to have a view of areas I don't want to view.
Is this possible or is it a missing feature?

Thanks!!
PrimaryInc

Re: How to "black out" part of the screen from camera view

Post by PrimaryInc »

SO!!!!
My own digging did give me the answer, and yes you can.
Selecting camera and camera settings.
Choose trigger and motion sensor. There is an option to blackout. Selecting Blackout masked areas fixed for me.
You need to set up use zones and hot spot for this to work.
PrimaryInc

Post by PrimaryInc »

Well this was a bummer.
Not sure if this is by design or if I did something wrong.
The pre view and live view has the black out present.
But when testing, the video recorded does not.

Is this how it is supposed to be?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

So you're looking to actually black out/obscure the feed vs just disabling any motion tracking of the area? I know for certain some of my cameras have that capability baked in (which is ideal - block it at the source, not remove it at the destination).

Within BI you could enable an overlay image of a black box (or whatever) and position it where you'd want it.

In my situation I have areas I don't want to be alerted to but still record so I modified my motion zone to exclude it (Trigger -> Motion Sensor [Configure] -> Use Zones and Hot spot [Edit]). In my case I do have a neighbor house still in my motion zone (I'd like to know if it's on fire, blows up, or a T-Rex walks through it) but I exclude some trees that blow if it's real windy.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
PrimaryInc

Post by PrimaryInc »

Matts1984 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:51 pm So you're looking to actually black out/obscure the feed vs just disabling any motion tracking of the area? I know for certain some of my cameras have that capability baked in (which is ideal - block it at the source, not remove it at the destination).

Within BI you could enable an overlay image of a black box (or whatever) and position it where you'd want it.

In my situation I have areas I don't want to be alerted to but still record so I modified my motion zone to exclude it (Trigger -> Motion Sensor [Configure] -> Use Zones and Hot spot [Edit]). In my case I do have a neighbour house still in my motion zone (I'd like to know if it's on fire, blows up, or a T-Rex walks through it) but I exclude some trees that blow if it's real windy.
Hi @Matts1984,

i did find settings to do this. I did post reply but reply has status waiting for approval..
The only thing I see is even when I use the black-out option, it is only applied to trigger preview and live view and not recording.
I was hoping it was applying to record as well.
Last edited by PrimaryInc on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenl

Post by kenl »

As Matts1984 suggested, it's best to do it in camera if your camera has that ability.

Otherwise, in the BI camera configuration, there's an "Area of Interest" setting that will allow you to define an area to use from the camera view.
PrimaryInc

Post by PrimaryInc »

Thanks for your reply.
I did get everything to work in BI.
I did follow the steps I explained i post over.
Only thing and I dont know why, I had to remove and install BI cleaning al registry setting to get recording to work.

Now everything works as intended :)