Re-using older PC hardware - SPECS

gmpanazzolo

Re-using older PC hardware - SPECS

Post by gmpanazzolo »

G'day all.

I have just begun the process of researching a CCTV setup for my home. After looking through the various options, I am settling on the idea of running 10x Hikvision 8MP cameras with Blue Iris. I am currently trying to work out whether it is worth spending the money to build a new PC, or if I can get away with re-using my old hardware from a Media PC which is no longer in use.

The PC specs are:
ASUS Z87M-PLUS
Intel i5-4430
4GB DDR3 RAM
60GB Kingston SSD HDD

The RAM and HDD were sufficient for its previous life, but from what I have read so far I can see that I will need to increase the RAM (I am thinking 16GB), and replace the 60GB SSD with at least 6TB of WD Purple HDD space. I am currently using the onboard graphics capability, but I wasn't sure whether a graphics card would help to unload my CPU, given that is only an i5-4430.

My intention is to record all 10 substreams 24/7, but only 4-5 cameras will record 24/7 in high quality, whilst the remainder will be set to motion detection recording.

I did have a look at the BI Update Helper page, but it was a bit beyond me as a newbie. Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
TimG

Re: Re-using older PC hardware - SPECS

Post by TimG »

Hiya,

Which version of Windows is it running ? Since you already have it, I would just try it to see how it copes - even memory upgrades can come later. Add a couple of cams and see what the cpu load is. There are a lot of tweaks to reduce cpu load.

I would also suggest you find which cpu's will work with your motherboard, just in case. Could be a easy ebay fix.

My present i5-3330 is running BI5 at 9% cpu load with three 1080 cams, and two old analogue SD cams recording 24/7. I am using the new sub-stream detecting motion for main stream recording method for the HD cams, and that brought cpu load down from approx 18%. No intel acceleration, but I do use direct to disk.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
gmpanazzolo

Post by gmpanazzolo »

Thanks Tim.

It's running Windows 10 x64. With regard to Intel acceleration, do you mean you are using a separate video card? I seem to recall reading that h265 encoding wasn't available if using a separate video card, which I assume would mean increased HDD usage?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I think Tim gave real solid advice. Your version of Windows perfect and my gut says you'll be fine with the CPU as there is so much room for tweaking to gain %'s back. In your spare time as he said, it might be worth looking at the highest CPUs your board can accept (which you provided and - if I get some free time this morning, I may look myself) just to see if there are any great deals on eBay. I personally was able to upgrade my CPU situation for $20 and it has been smooth sailing.

As Tim also said, it doesn't hurt to install BI and give it a shot to see where you are. You may want some additional RAM but BI is not RAM hungry so I don't think you need TOO much, again this to me depends on pricing, and your current RAM configuration and how many slots you have.

Can't go wrong with disk space... when in doubt, get more :)

I think the Intel acceleration mentioned is in regards to built in Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) built into newer chips - which yours DOES support so you can get some added optimizations there without a dedicated GPU. I haven't tried (or have) a dedicated GPU so I can't speak from experience but for most I've read, it's quirky and benefits are limited while QSV is the way to go, though I don't have that either with older Xeon CPUs, oh well.

Bottom line, I'd say keep your current system the way it is, add (not replace) the extra HDD. Use your existing as the C drive for Windows and the BI install and use your multi-TB drive as an added drive to dedicate to video files (many reasons for going with this approach). Beyond that, just do some research in terms of cost of adding more RAM, 16GB would be great but probably even that much isn't absolutely necessary. Then, see what your Mobo can support for CPUs but you may not need to worry about it... that said, if you could make a significant jump and spend $30, then why not!
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
gmpanazzolo

Post by gmpanazzolo »

That is brilliant. Thanks very much for going into so much detail. I did have a quick look at eBay and found some i7 CPUs around the traps, although I'm probably looking at a couple hundred dollars. They might be a bit optimistic, but I only looked briefly. I've got another project on the go, but the CCTV is next, so I will get stuck into it shortly.

Thanks again.
laptoptitan

Post by laptoptitan »

I also have the same problem and need to solve. Appreciate any help. Thank you !
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

gmpanazzolo wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:48 am That is brilliant. Thanks very much for going into so much detail. I did have a quick look at eBay and found some i7 CPUs around the traps, although I'm probably looking at a couple hundred dollars. They might be a bit optimistic, but I only looked briefly. I've got another project on the go, but the CCTV is next, so I will get stuck into it shortly.

Thanks again.
Yeah my quick searching on the eBay showed the same results for any i7's. Your i5 might do just fine so I wouldn't pull a trigger on that yet.
laptoptitan wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:02 am I also have the same problem and need to solve. Appreciate any help. Thank you !
What kind of problem? Give details and this community is pretty willing to help if possible.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
Syc0Maniac

Post by Syc0Maniac »

I am ALSO in the same boat as many and am trying to figure out what to use for an Amcrest video doorbell and a few other 1080P cams around the house. I would need a monitor and do not need remote viewing as I am disabled and am home most all of the time. I have been looking at the small tiny ThinkCenters but not sure which to get. I would like to see live view of cams using BI. I would also like to use HA for some home automation stuff if possible. Any suggestions? Not looking to spend much $ if possible.
Last edited by Syc0Maniac on Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.