green progress bar on clip icon?

General discussion about Blue Iris
TheLAD

green progress bar on clip icon?

Post by TheLAD »

what is the meaning of the green progress bar on the clip icon in the list of clips?
green progress bar.png
green progress bar.png (80.27 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
MikeBwca

Re: green progress bar on clip icon?

Post by MikeBwca »

That's not a current recording, so.... Are you doing an auto migration/export/conversion/ftp?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I actually see the same thing while BI is loading up (before going "Active"). I always wondered what it meant but some of the icons or colors etc that are a part of the interface I'll probably never fully understand. For me the green bars go away once I'm live.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
TimG

Post by TimG »

Could it be showing how far through the 8.61G file the Alert is ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I noticed you're using Sophos UTM WAF. Do you route all traffic through it before it connects to your network? Would this allow a secure connection to BI remotely?

I looked at the info page for it, and it says:

"The Sophos UTM Free Home Use firewall contains its own operating system and will overwrite all data on the computer during the installation process. Therefore, a separate, dedicated computer is needed, which will change into a fully functional security appliance."

Does that mean that it can't run anything else, including BI? I'm interested in using it but it sounds like I'd need another PC just for this, is that correct?

If so, I'm thinking that an SBC might be a good fir for this (like a Raspberry Pi, Latte Panda, ODROID, etc).
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Thixotropic wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:36 pm I noticed you're using Sophos UTM WAF. Do you route all traffic through it before it connects to your network? Would this allow a secure connection to BI remotely?

I looked at the info page for it, and it says:

"The Sophos UTM Free Home Use firewall contains its own operating system and will overwrite all data on the computer during the installation process. Therefore, a separate, dedicated computer is needed, which will change into a fully functional security appliance."

Does that mean that it can't run anything else, including BI? I'm interested in using it but it sounds like I'd need another PC just for this, is that correct?

If so, I'm thinking that an SBC might be a good fir for this (like a Raspberry Pi, Latte Panda, ODROID, etc).
I don't want to derail the thread but ultimately yes, the Sophos UTM WAF is a single component of their full UTM firewall. It does require either A) a dedicated PC or B) a VM.... as the install is a full operating system ISO that is a fully featured network firewall. I do have mine configured to use Dynamic DNS (so I can reference my "home" with a name and not a dynamically changing IP address) and then the WAF processes all traffic to a specified IP address and translates/forwards that to my BI system. It does allow me to do SSL/TLS termination (using integrated Lets Encrypt certificate service at no cost) as well as adding website hardening. I currently add Cookie Signing, and filter based on reputation, protocol violations and anomalies, request limits, bad robots, SQL injection and XSS attacks, Geofiltering, and a few other minor things. This all seems to work really well with both UI3 and the Android app, allows me to use the same URL no matter my location, and lifts some processing burden off my BI system.

So yes, it is a bit of a heavy lift to implement as it needs to replace your internet router (in theory, I guess technically it could sit on your LAN though and just forward traffic) but the Home License gives SO much capability that I've been a committed user for at least 8 years. That said, my entire professional experience revolves around administering and architecting firewalls. As for the UTM system itself, it does NOT need a very heavy machine to run. Historically it's always been said that as long as the system has 2 or more NICs, it can run just fine. I'd recommend a minimum of Dual core CPU and 4GB of RAM, and around 100GB of disk space for logs, all pretty minimal figures these days. My own UTM runs on a dedicated server, 8 cores, 72GB RAM, and 1.2TB of disk with 8 network interfaces. It's overkill but I run with nearly every feature turned on (firewall, IPS, URL filtering, Application control, SMTP proxy, WAF, and network based A/V) and it hovers between 1 and 4% utilization. In a nutshell, I'm very passionate about it, probably more so than even BI, but I get that it may not be for everyone. I've shopped around quite a bit and for a free license, it's an incredible deal.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet