Evaluation water mark now showing despite registered account

Matts1984

Re: Evaluation water mark now showing despite registered account

Post by Matts1984 »

I think you're right about topics being removed. Interesting as it shows there is a moderator so presumably feedback is making it to the power that be.

Anyway, yeah IDK.. I'm guessing it's just a configuration checkmark on the service provider portal. It looks like this as soon as you click the 'Upgrade/Renew' button in the console:
Renew.JPG
Renew.JPG (60.04 KiB) Viewed 8431 times
It gives no option (that I can find) to change the Renewal: Automatic option. I'm not going to dump a year of development work and go with something else so I pretty much have no option to renew (OCD will prevent me from just continuing on the current release and not doing updates) but I really really really do not like Auto renews. I know others have recently done a renew so was wondering their experience.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

my BI server doesn't have browser access, so never bothered clicking on that link before! :lol:

Just coped/pasted to a local machine and i see what you mean...they really wanna keep the moneys rolling in don't they? this compounds what i said in the previous thread (that was removed :o ) that this is more like a rental agreement than purchasing a piece of software.

It reminds me of some lyrics to the song 'Hotel California' - "You can check out any time you like. But you can never leave!"

Just did some digging...it looks like you have the option from the website (at the bottom of the page) to buy just 1 years support - yo get to pay a little extra for the privilege.

i'm leaving it a while, when sufficient time rolls around that a feature i cant live without is implemented ill rent another years use.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Well thats just ridiculous, a $5 premium to not have auto-renew. Otherwise there appears no difference:
Renew 2.JPG
Renew 2.JPG (37 KiB) Viewed 8426 times

I'm assuming they won't penalize if your license has lapsed and you can then just 'renew'. With the current state of things, the statement "Before your Basic support expires, please use the Upgrade/Renew button on the Options page." worries me. I'm about 30 minutes past expiration now and just didn't want to pull the trigger in a rush. I'm still not exactly sure how you cancel if you sign up for auto-renew. I don't want it to be an informal 'email to support'
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

there is some weird ideas going on....

i get to pay a bit more because i dont live in the USA!
bi.PNG
bi.PNG (20.03 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Well not everyone can be perfect ;)

Just kidding! I don't want to start that argument.

Seriously though, for a $7 USD transaction fee, I'd be happy to purchase it for you. :lol:
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

To kind of bring it to a close or answer my own question.... I went ahead and subscribed to the yearly renewal. From the best I can tell the way to cancel, if you should so choose, is to make an account with the MyCommerce/ShareIT/Digital River website using the same email address BI is registered to (and the one you used to renew support). Once my account was created I could view my transaction for the license subscription and within that I have the option to cancel (obfuscated screenshot below).
Purchase.jpg
Purchase.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 8399 times
RoadHazard

Post by RoadHazard »

sparkzter wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:28 pm I managed to reverted back by clicking on the update button again followed by ticking the 'another previous update' box and i chose 5.2.7.9 which was available at the time.
When I click the "another previous update" option, the only version it suggests is 5.2.7.11, which is newer, not older, than what I'm running now. In other words, it's also not covered by my expired support license. Why would it suggest versions it knows I'm not entitled to use? That's just dumb. And confusing.
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

RoadHazard wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:17 pm
sparkzter wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:28 pm I managed to reverted back by clicking on the update button again followed by ticking the 'another previous update' box and i chose 5.2.7.9 which was available at the time.
When I click the "another previous update" option, the only version it suggests is 5.2.7.11, which is newer, not older, than what I'm running now. In other words, it's also not covered by my expired support license. Why would it suggest versions it knows I'm not entitled to use? That's just dumb. And confusing.
i must have got luck with a valid version being available at the time for me.

it is also dumb and confusing why it would encourage you to perform an update your not entitled to, get you on the hook with the water mark and hope you buy another years subs as an easy way out. as i mentioned earlier in this thread, ipcamtalk seem to have every version of blueiris available for download...i suspect downloading/installing one of those will overcome your problem, altho not sure how it will like an older version being installed over a newer release.
FelixDKat

Post by FelixDKat »

WOW.....

I just happened to move machines in the middle of all of this and thought that the registration watermark would go away AFTER the 15 day trial and it realized that I had already paid for it.

I like, not love, the software. For the original price paid PLUS 35 dollar per year for updates it seems to be in a price range that should have a support hotline. I did NOT EVER use support and so for me that is the price that I will have to pay just to keep updated.

That seems a bit steep.

As a business model they say know your competition. The Windows platform for a machine that performs ONE FUNCTION seems a bit of a waste to me when there are OPEN SOURCE options that operate on LINUX. LINUX requires less machine and is FREE.

I looked at iSPY and compared to BLUE IRIS. Free vs/ +-60$. I was in a hurry and Blue Iris did what I wanted, especially the Integration with Alexa and a Smart Home.

Did I mention "Integration with Alexa and a Smart Home"? It seems this doesn't really work if you have followed the advice of so many and setup your SecCam System on its own network for security reasons.

Hit me with 9.99 per year for just updates (no support) and I would not have liked it but would have done it and not bothered reviewing my options. Hit me for 35$ per year for a SIXTY DOLLAR program and you just encouraged me to look closer at the FREE options that may be working as well or better. For new customers the cost of the machine and OS are definitely a consideration as well.

If the programmer monitors this board please consider that 9.99 option. cheers
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Best of luck with your hunt for decent free software.

I do agree that to pop up an update that you’re not entitled to is a bit strange but apart from this quirk no real complaints from me.

Also don’t forget that you can stay on an old release of BI which was released prior to your support expiring for ever, just don’t update.