motion detection

General discussion about Blue Iris
pelochas

motion detection

Post by pelochas »

Hello,
Only had BI5 for a couple days. never had BI until my nvr got zapped by lightning during a severe storm. never going back to a nvr after seeing what BI5 does.

Im trying to adjust motion detection, seen a few videos, made adjustments, its good during the day. overnight, had several spider webs on the 8 cams i have outdoors trigger thousands of clips. is there a day profile and night profile for motion detection? or do i need to make adjusts on motion detection during the night hours?

the other question, i have an external drive to store the clips. i made the change in the settings to have the folders New, Stored, and Alerts to the external drive. I see that in the ios app, it shows the Clips: several thousand files, 11.7G/31.0 G but in the external drive E: shows nothing. Just show E: 2.0 T . Does BI need to store everything in the local drive first and then move these files over to the external drive. It does not show any issue, CPU is at 15%. Just concerned that if something was to occur on my pc or the local drive, all the clips videos may be lost and not copied over to the external drive. Should i set the settings to immidiately move those files over to external drive? Are clips and videos viewwable on the app if they are moved to the external drive in the Stored folder?

and does anyone here work with home automation, specifically HomeSeer. trying to setup motion trigger on camera to run event, turn on lights.

thanks for you help
orlando
TimG

Re: motion detection

Post by TimG »

Hi pelochas,

That's a lot of questions. I will try to assist:

1. Spiders like IR, so I prefer to turn it off and use more sensitive cameras. I now only get webs over the old analogue cams. Since I record 24/7, I haven't worried about changing triggers, so I can't help there.
2. "New" should be on a fast drive, but other folders can be on slower drives. Note that you don't need multiple folders if you only have one drive, as the folders are to enable files to be moved to a different drive. If you use "New" and "Stored" folders, then BI5 will usually put them in "New", and move them to "Stored" after the time, or folder size that you have selected.
3. Yes, files in the "Stored" folder can be viewed on the mobile client, and by using UI3 on networked pc's.
4. Homeseer = Yes. Presently Beta testing HS4. I previously just used a JSON command in BI5, but changed it to use BeeryGaz's plug-in with a different BI5 JSON command. I don't think he is maintaining the plug-in now, but it just makes things a bit easier with events. I do use BI5 cameras to trigger HS4 events for external lights.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Re: motion detection

Post by Thixotropic »

pelochas wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:03 pmIm trying to adjust motion detection, seen a few videos, made adjustments, its good during the day. overnight, had several spider webs on the 8 cams i have outdoors trigger thousands of clips.
There's also a "minimum time between alerts" setting that might help reduce some of the false alerts (or at least their frequency).

Some people claim that giving cameras a light dusting of bug repellent works wonders (cover the lens before you spray). I've never used it myself so I can't say if it really works, but might be worth a try.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS