Newbie Camera Recommendation

Matts1984

Re: Newbie Camera Recommendation

Post by Matts1984 »

I realize this is a bit of an old topic but I started out with two SV3C 5MP bullet cameras (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNGWZVR) and have been very happy with them... even though they are a chinese rebrand of Dahua cameras. The price was right for me and I really like the options and quality. I recently added two Amcrest cameras that are very similar on paper but to go along with the previous poster, I am very unhappy with them and would not rebuy (I've posted details elsewhere in this forum). The only initial complaint I had towards SV3C was their site made it hard to find the firmware... but once I found it I'm completely happy (https://sv3c.com/fireware/ <-- the misspelling made it harder to find). I didn't want to use their incredibly complicated software to manage the cameras, upload firmware, etc plus not wanting to install questionable stuff on my computer. I was able to do everything through their WebUI though.

In re-reading that it sounds like I make it sound worse than it is. I think all the camera manufacturers have some sort of management solution and/or want you to use their cloud video system... all of which is completely unnecessary!
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I think night vision quality is almost counter-productive with high pixel counts. Not the right wording but, to get larger pixels to capture more light you need to give up resolution.
sdrolshagen68

Post by sdrolshagen68 »

There used to be a blueiris page with a list of compatible camera models. I'm sure it is difficult to keep such a list up to date, but does anyone have that link or know if that page is still active?

I'm looking at a Eufy Doorbell cam. Anyone know if it is compatible with the blueiris software? Opinions and/or suggestions for doorbell cam's compatible with blueiris?

Last question - I've seen comments referencing Dahua and Hikvision, but have also seen references to these camera's having been infected with the BASHLiteMalware back in 2016 and are susceptible to backdoor access. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahua_Technology Are there any owners of these cameras that can confirm or deny this information? If the malware attack was true, can you confirm if and how it was resolved?

Finally, I'd really like to find a 'made in America' camera. Can anyone recommend one? Does such a thing exist?

Much Thanks for any and all responses.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Dahua is confusing because there seem to be different code baselines that get installed on the same camera. I got my Dahua from a dude on the other forum not to be named here who was a reseller based in Hong Kong. He had a pretty good reputation with buyers and the software for those cameras seemed pretty good.

That being said, cameras in general are notoriously weak and susceptible. You should never have them accessible directly from the internet. Using BI as a middle broker between the cameras and the internet is WAY better than just leaving the cameras directly accessible.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Interesting you ask "Made in America".... I had a friend recently ask me exactly that for a small business he was helping. The end result of our search and investigation... you're really not going to find one and if you do, it's going to be so much more expensive that even our 'Merica pride falls short. Cisco used to make IP cameras however even those I'm sure aren't/weren't made in the US. From there I sort of pivoted to Europe and maybe Bosch.... but when you compare to a good quality image from a $50 camera... it's sad but it just is what it is. I see the cameras as pawns in the game but the brains to the operation is BlueIris so theres that!

Additionally, research showed that about 90% of the market is either Hikvision or Dahua... regardless of what the sticker on the box is. As HeneryH pointed out, these things are cameras and little else. Security is an afterthought and I wouldn't put any trust in them, regardless of how new the firmware is, where it was made, etc. Complete isolation is very highly recommended.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
aukipc

Post by aukipc »

I really can't fault the Hikvision IPC X240 series (X being T for turret, B for bullet etc.)

4MP cameras so really good definition, but work well in low light (e.g. streetlighting) in full colour with very little distortion or noise, I've found they're a really good balance between definition and night time performance. They also work well when used in conjunction with IR illuminators, but for anything more than a fairly small area the onboard IR isn't too good (as with any camera really).