Beginners Question

General discussion about Blue Iris
VideoKilledtheRFstar

Beginners Question

Post by VideoKilledtheRFstar »

This maybe a really silly question. Does the software need to communicate outside of the local LAN to work at all? We have a standalone LAN/WLAN setup and we want to be able to monitor/record video cameras locally, without any connection to the outside world..

Many thanks in advance..

VK
HeneryH

Re: Beginners Question

Post by HeneryH »

Perhaps during license activation but there is a way around that.

Once running, no.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Correct, it's not NEEDED. But you will probably want some method of getting NTP to keep things in sync and updates are easier with a connection but as noted, it's not required. This is also assuming you don't want to use the AI intelligence features too, again not required at all.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
hotbrass

Post by hotbrass »

I have been running my setup offline for about six months and there are issues with updating. The update installation is not reliable when downloaded and installed. They do not always update. The last successful update installation for me was 5.2.6.1. Everything after that would not install. So I had to change all my IP's on my BI5 LAN and connect to my home LAN and the newest installs will install like normal. I am leaving the IP's the same now and just unplugging my BI LAN from my home LAN.

Any suggestions?