Great Nightvision

Matts1984

Great Nightvision

Post by Matts1984 »

Hi Members,

I'm reaching out for advice. I have a new found need for two new cameras on my setup to view my backyard. I've been happy with what I've been using in the front but I'm interested in suggestions for cameras that are really good with night viewing with low light levels. I do have backyard floods that light it up like a sports stadium but they generally are not on. The main purpose is of course for security but also to catch wildlife (not expecting a motion trigger on the latter) as we've had a recent run-in with a fox.

Looking for PoE, bullet, no need for audio. Looking for good quality image and very good with low light. I know I've seen mentions of certain cameras and attributes that make some better than others. I'm in the immediate market for this so any help would go a long way!

FWIW, these are what I have already and no complaints, but I don't have anything to compare to :D https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNGWZVR
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Matts1984

Re: Great Nightvision

Post by Matts1984 »

Just purchased 2x Amcrest IP5M-1173EB-28MM so we'll see how those work out. Might be a week+ before I can get them installed.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Please post some pics so we can see how they are and what the night vision is like. :)
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi, I know it's obvious, but you really need to compare the low light sensitivity levels to see what they can do at night. My starvis Dahua can see in colour when my eyes only see darkness - I have the IR illuminators turned off. I'm sure the newer versions must be even better by now.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Attached is a grab from one of the new Amcrest IP5M-1173EB-28MM. I do need to still tweak it for night viewing (was too tired last night) so will post that later.
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (169.37 KiB) Viewed 8729 times
Overall I'm happy enough with the image BUT... I will not be buying another. I'm pretty dissatisfied with the product and Amcrest. The first was an oversight on my part and not a HUGE deal but they do not support H.265+, only H.265. My other cameras, SV3C SV-B01POE-5MPL, support it and I do see better compression using Direct-to-Disk. I had hoped this was just a documentation thing as even the SV3C's don't say "+" but alas, they do.

My real issue with Amcrest is over their firmware and security policy. The web interface is very similar to the SV3C's and from what I can tell, both are based on Dahua. The only real difference between them is Amcrest is more 'tabbed' vs SV3C just having it all right there. No problem. The Amcrest cameras I have though, manufactured within the last couple months and still considered "current" products have not had a firmware update in almost 2 years. SV3C has put out at least a couple updates since I bought them last year. Amcrest also puts up a pain of a "subscribe wall" to get to the firmware page. Using the recommended URLs in documentation or clicking links on their page sends you to a page to enter your email address to subscribe to updates... the thing is that this signs you up for marketing emails. At no point does it ask you which models you're interested in. So I now know about their wireless bluetooth earbuds but nothing about firmware (that they don't release often anyway). FWIW to anyone interested, this is the direct URL to the download page though (https://amcrest.com/firmwaredownloads).

Further, they have a very real security hole they appear to be unwilling to fix because they want information.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (58.4 KiB) Viewed 8729 times
This P2P option is if you want to use their "Cloud" solution and their app to do whatever. Most cameras have something like this... of course with Blue Iris (which Amcrest also promotes!!!) I have no need for this. Hence it's disabled. Only it's NOT. The cameras continue to try and talk to Amcrest AWS systems upwards of 20 - 30 times per minute, each, even with every outbound related setting turned off. I contacted support about this and got a vague response that used twisted logic. I found on their forums that this was first reported over 2 years ago (https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... t6848.html) and per support I added my own post (https://amcrest.com/forum/feature-devic ... 13816.html). Of course I am blocking this traffic but it's the principle of the matter that these are trying to talk out following a twisted logic that I cannot disable. I had an initial concern over my SV3C cameras when I set them up lat year but with new firmware they put out, they are running (and behaving) perfectly. They do what I tell them to, nothing more - and honestly nothing less.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I got my night settings pretty decent I think. This was with very low ambient light so only using the built-in IR lights. I'm wondering if lowering the camera just a bit so the soffit isn't in the frame would help with brightness and I'm guessing any assistance I'll get will be "try it and find out!".... does anyone have any experience doing that? Does moving away so you don't have a super bright surface in the image help with the overall brightness/range?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
TimG

Post by TimG »

I'm wondering if lowering the camera just a bit so the soffit isn't in the frame would help with brightness and I'm guessing any assistance I'll get will be "try it and find out!"....
That should help a lot. I have a camera just above my garage door, and it all goes weird when the door is lifted up. The camera will adjust itself with the reflected IR light.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.