Upgrade instructions?

JackBauer

Upgrade instructions?

Post by JackBauer »

I'm unable to locate official instructions.

LOVE BI. Happily purchased an upgrade - partially because the developer is so awesome with keeping the current revision fresh. Who else updates software like that?!

Anyway - I get the licensing part... After reading a few posts here. But surely there should be upgrade instructions somewhere?

I of course should export my BI4 settings - assuming BI5 will import them ok?
But should I uninstall BI4 before installing BI5?
technight

Re: Upgrade instructions?

Post by technight »

You have to start from scratch. Make screenshots of you old config and try to set it in the BI 5
_Jennifer

Post by _Jennifer »

You do not need to start from scratch.

Version 5 is a full install upgrade, so you would download from the Download page at blueirissoftware.com/, and use your version 4 key to register with.
After registering, everything should transfer over, and you can then uninstall Version 4.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

When you uninstall V4, be sure to reply properly when asked to retain registration & settings. Otherwise, you WILL need to start from scratch.

The BI V5 install process will explain all this.
JackBauer

Post by JackBauer »

Thanks everyone.

Just one problem. Upon opening BI5 for the first time - it asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the latest (bug fixes) version. I clicked yes.

Then the window came up stating I can uninstall V4 but keep settings. I wasn't able to read the entire instructions before the BI5 upgrade process started. So I don't exactly know what else it said.

As far as uninstalling BI4 - I'm guessing I go into control panel apps, right click on BI4, and select uninstall?

Thanks!
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

There's a Microsoft C++ 2015-2019 redistributable that should have installed as part of the V5 install, if you didn't have it. The install package should be in the V5 program folder if you need it.

There are a few other notes, but not needed for 99% of installs.

Yes, you uninstall V4 the normal way. Reply 'Yes' to uninstall pgm & components, then reply to KEEP license & settings.
JackBauer

Post by JackBauer »

Thank you.

I followed these instructions but somehow BI5 lost my settings anyway. Luckily I had exported those settings before starting the uninstall.
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

JackBauer wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 pm Thank you.

I followed these instructions but somehow BI5 lost my settings anyway. Luckily I had exported those settings before starting the uninstall.
This has happened to many people. There appears to be a bug with the BI4 uninstaller that removes settings and registration even though the person selected "no" to delete registry and license info. Since BI4 and BI5 both share the same location in the Windows registry for its settings, this affects BI5. I have reported this problem to support@blueirissoftware.com. My suggestion to support was to issue another update to BI4 installations that fixes the uninstaller problem. This will eliminate one big upgrade frustration and many support e-mails.

I recommend that anyone else who has encountered this problem should report it to support. When submitting an e-mail to support, make sure you click on "E-mail support" in Blue Iris Settings -> About tab and then paste (CTRL-V) this information into the body of your e-mail message.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Good to know.

I think I've read/heard that there is a settings file in the V5 folder to import the camera settings if there lost?
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

MikeBwca wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:50 pm Good to know.

I think I've read/heard that there is a settings file in the V5 folder to import the camera settings if there lost?
Yes, you can export the camera settings for each camera. From Blue Iris console, right click on the specific camera, select "Camera settings" -> General tab and then click the Export button. It names the export file using the [camera name].reg. Cameras are not exported automatically, so you will have to manually do this.

I highly recommend exporting Blue Iris all settings. This includes all camera settings. To Export Blue Iris settings. Open Blue Iris console ->Settings -> About Tab and click on the "Export settings" button. It will create an export file called "Blue Iris.reg". All export files are saved in the C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5 folder. There is an "Auto Export" feature that can be enabled, but make sure you click the "..." button and specify where you want the export files saved.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.