Turning on a light when BI5 sends an alert?

General discussion about Blue Iris
owkaye

Turning on a light when BI5 sends an alert?

Post by owkaye »

I would like BI5 to turn on a floodlight when it sends me an alert that's triggered by one of my cameras. What's your preferred way to accomplish this?
TimG

Re: Turning on a light when BI5 sends an alert?

Post by TimG »

Hi owkaye,

I have BI5 send a json command to Homeseer HS3. It works well. The neighbours must think I have a very sensitive PIR !

If you have Homeseer, I can show you how to do it.

Tim
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Serodgers

Post by Serodgers »

TimG wrote:Hi owkaye,

I have BI5 send a json command to Homeseer HS3. It works well. The neighbours must think I have a very sensitive PIR !

If you have Homeseer, I can show you how to do it.

Tim
Same here. I have BI send JSON commands to HomeSeer to run events. Also have HomeSeer send commands to BI to pause and resume motion detection on one of my camera when my sprinklers run. Otherwise back forth of sprinklers splashing off trees sets motion alerts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owkaye

Post by owkaye »

I have BI5 send a json command to Homeseer HS3. It works well. If you have Homeseer, I can show you how to do it.
Hi Tim, I don't have Homeseer but I'll keep your suggestion in mind in case I get it some day. It looks like it costs more money than I want to spend right now, so I'll have to think about it.

I have an unused Sonoff switch I'm hoping to configure so that it receives an alert message from BI5. Then I can wire the Sonoff into the floodlight circuit and have the light switch on when the Sonoff gets the alert message. If this is possible it would meet my needs for a cost of only the $5 I spent on the Sonoff switch.

:)
Serodgers

Post by Serodgers »

HomeSeer Raspberry Pi version is currently free! Difference in normal Linux or windows versions is it is limited to 5 plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimG

Post by TimG »

Crikey,

I thought "No way", but it really is "Yes way" ! HS3 Pi3 is indeed free for one week only, and one free licence per person.

https://homeseer.com/support/newsletter ... -promo.htm

I run HS3 Pro on my Windows server for full home automation, and also have a Pi3 running HS3 to run my Xmas lights. I now have another licence which means I can split my home AV equipment IR/Z-wave control off from the main server just by purchasing a Pi3 :D
Forum Moderator.
owkaye

Post by owkaye »

I missed the 'free' sale -- because I failed to get email notification when this thread was updated, but I don't know why because the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option is checked. Another forum issue is that I posted 3 or 4 new threads last week (or the week before?) yet this is the only thread that ever showed up. Are my new threads being ignored or filtered or rejected or something?

Another way for me to accomplish my goal might be to get a floodlight with a PIR sensor, have it turn on when it detects motion, then make BI5 send me an alert when the overall scene lighting changes as the light comes on.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I was surprised that Homeseer hadn't mentioned it in an email, else I would have posted about it earlier. I would have missed it myself without this thread.

As for new threads, I understand that your first few posts will be checked before they can appear - it could be that during this time you cannot create new posts. If you are now posting immediately, try adding your new threads again.
Forum Moderator.
owkaye

Post by owkaye »

Hi TimG, I don't have copies of my new posts, and I guess I did not ask anything critical or I would remember them. I will try posting again if I remember them some day.
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

owkaye wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 pm I would like BI5 to turn on a floodlight when it sends me an alert that's triggered by one of my cameras. What's your preferred way to accomplish this?
Depends on the floodlight. My bulbs are Zigbee compatible, so I just call a Windows Powershell script under alerts to control via HUE. https://github.com/lwsrbrts/PoSHue
The script only runs under the night profile, triggered from a secondary zone.
ifttt webhook was easy to setup, but not instant and less reliable. (ie: sometimes didn't activate or activated 30minutes later). The PowerShell approach is instant.
Same approach would work for non HUE devices, just trigger via windows command\powershell depending on the brand of light.