Fresh BI5 installation on Win10 SSD+Storage

stone28

Fresh BI5 installation on Win10 SSD+Storage

Post by stone28 »

Hi all,

Getting closer and closer to finally download and set up my BI5 standalone box but was wondering if there is a guide somewhere on the site with the configuration and all. I think, from reading other threads, that there are some main "must haves" in configuration of BI5 for it to work in optimal way?

Also, I can see that running it on it's own box is not really that crucial? People having good time with home automation, plex and various other servers on the same box. Or people having it on VM's. I'm hoping maybe doing the same but not sure if my machine will handle that. It will be running 3 or 4 cameras (4-5MP)

I will put is on ASR18097 Dell 3040 Optiplex PC, Core i5-6500 3.20GHz, 8GB PC3L (SSD for system and apps and 4TB purple for storage.)

I like to get my "hands dirty" so pointing me in the right direction so I can read more would be great.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Rk
terk

Re: Fresh BI5 installation on Win10 SSD+Storage

Post by terk »

Lookup "HomeTech Video" on youtube for instructional videos for setup. My BI server is also my file server, Plex server, Ubiquiti controller, and Sonos server, and I have 12 cameras currently (mostly 2MP) however my file server is lightly used most of the time same with Plex as we only use it to host our family pictures to make it easier to see them from iOS devices. BI has it's own dedicated HDD for long term storage. One thing I'd recommend looking into is Open VPN client on any mobile device for remote connectivity and an ASUS or other router capable of hosting a VPN server. I also use STunnel and make all traffic go through that.
stone28

Post by stone28 »

Thank you for this... I will check as advised before I start setting it up.

Thank you again.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi Terk,
I thought OpenVpn with an Asus router covered my remote access security - it has prevented access attempts from other countries too ( Look in your connection logs people). What can Stunnel do for me ? And can you explain how to set it up ?
Tim
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

If you want to make things easy, I can recommend ngrok without reservation.

There's a short ngrok tutorial here: https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... f=8&t=1033

It's super easy, super fast, and someone else does all the heavy lifting. I've been using it for a little while now and have zero complaints so far.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
terk

Post by terk »

TimG wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:05 am Hi Terk,
I thought OpenVpn with an Asus router covered my remote access security - it has prevented access attempts from other countries too ( Look in your connection logs people). What can Stunnel do for me ? And can you explain how to set it up ?
Tim
OpenVPN does cover the remote access security the only reason I'm using STunnel is so all traffic goes through HTTPS even on my WiFi.