Zones & motion detection

General discussion about Blue Iris
nodaveu

Zones & motion detection

Post by nodaveu »

I have a question about triggering the camera with motion through zones. The help file advises that to trigger from one zone to another in any direction you should use "-" between the zones. A-B. I have multiple zones set and am curious if I need to set A-C, or should it look like A-B, B-C, C-A. I want motion triggered from any of the zones into any of the other zones.

Thanks for any help.
TimG

Re: Zones & motion detection

Post by TimG »

Hi, I believe it's the latter.

Tim.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I've wondered about this same thing. It would have been helpful for a couple of examples to be included in the Help guide.
nodaveu wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:15 pm I have a question about triggering the camera with motion through zones. The help file advises that to trigger from one zone to another in any direction you should use "-" between the zones. A-B. I have multiple zones set and am curious if I need to set A-C, or should it look like A-B, B-C, C-A. I want motion triggered from any of the zones into any of the other zones.

Thanks for any help.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
hotbrass

Post by hotbrass »

From the HELP button BI4:

Use the Object travels rule to set the number of pixels that an object must move before it causes a trigger (it must still exist beyond the "make time" defined on the main Motion/Trigger window).

Use the Object crosses zones rule to require that an object move between zones before triggering. The simplest requirement is A>B which means the object must move from zone A to B. You may also use the syntax A-B as shorthand for A>B, B>A, meaning the object must move between these zones, but the order is not important. You can also specify a more complicated movement, such as AB>C, meaning the object must have been in both A and B before moving to C.
You may choose whether or not to require the object to again cross zones in order to re-trigger (continue triggering once triggered). If this option is not selected, it become easier to maintain a triggered condition once the object has crossed the zones.

Use the Object size exceeds setting to reset the motion detector when very large objects are detected. This will help to prevent false positive triggering in the event of scene or major lighting changes.

You will see that new Alert images are marked with the triggering object's zone/s at the time of the trigger.

Zones and Hot Spot

This window allows you to set up to 8 zones or regions for motion detection. Zones are assigned letter values from A to H. Motion must occur within one or more of these zones in order to be analyzed further in order to potentially trigger the camera for recording and alerts. By default, Zone A is set to the entire frame and the other zones are undefined.

Use the control at the top of the window to select the zone that you wish to edit:

Zones A-G are shown in green, while zone H is shown in red because it's the "hotspot" zone. When motion occurs in the hotspot zone, it is exempt from further analysis and will immediately trigger the camera. Use the hotspot zone with reserve as it is likely to produce a large number of false-positives.

While you are editing a zone, areas that have been defined for other zones appear with a crosshatch pattern so that may more closely align zones to one another. It is OK however for zones to overlap. With the Brush tool selected, you can "paint" the zone pixel by pixel. With the Rectangle tool selected, you can draw a rectangular area of any size by clicking at one corner then dragging the mouse to the opposite corner. Hold down the Control key while drawing to restore portions of the original image.

Use the Clear button to fully restore the original image. Use the Invert button to reverse all drawn areas. This might come in handy if you first want to mask areas of non-interest, and then create a zone by inverting your drawing.

Click Ok to save your changes.

Zones and Masking

Motion that occurs in an area that is not covered by any zone is effectively masked.

Because objects are only detected in areas covered by at least one zone, you don't want to leave masked "gaps" between zones when looking for objects crossing zones. Overlapping the zones is not ideal either because the object may originate in the overlapped region and will never be detected as crossing. One way to configure this would be to use zone A as a mask, excluding areas that you do not want to monitor at all. Then, setup additional zones B and C that are part of A, and look for object movement between B-C. This way, B and C do not have to be touching or overlapping whatsoever.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Each set of characters represents one crossing. If a/b/c are spatially linear then A-C is impossible. You need to set that a/b crossing with A-B then the b/c crossing with B-C
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Lots of good suggestions. I'll add mine to aid in the confusion! lol

It all depends where you want the trigger.

If you want the trigger only when they cross A & B into C, then AB>C.
What happens if they skip A and enter B? Add B>C.

Likewise in reverse... CB>A and B>A

If you want any zone crossing to trigger, then... A-B, B-C

The BI Help file has a lot of information about zone crossing., search the BI Help for 'zone crossing'.
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

There are some excellent YouTube videos on Blue Iris Zone Crossing by HomeTech Video. I highly recommend watching the two YouTube videos as they will answer all questions on Zone crossings.

Blue Iris - Zone Crossing
https://youtu.be/vrVmWMFbT7s

Blue Iris - Zone Crossing Part 2
https://youtu.be/3idtqpEHzPs
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
darant1979

Post by darant1979 »

One of the things that frustrates me on zoning is the inability to use the rectangles and then turn them... I wish there was a way to draw the rectangle, and pivot it.. Zoning with the pen and rectangles is painful.. Also after the last update, my zones seem too have dropped off.
darant1979

Post by darant1979 »

darant1979 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:49 pm One of the things that frustrates me on zoning is the inability to use the rectangles and then turn them... I wish there was a way to draw the rectangle, and pivot it.. Zoning with the pen and rectangles is painful.. Also after the last update, my zones seem too have dropped off.
Anyone agree? Disagree?