Weird IP Confusion With Blue Iris 5

XrayDoc88

Weird IP Confusion With Blue Iris 5

Post by XrayDoc88 »

I posted this same issue at ipcamtalk but only got one reply. I am a surveillance noob and learning to use Blue Iris 5. I have a dedicated local computer running BI5. So far I have only added one wireless video doorbell to Blue Iris. It is a Nelly's Security DB-1, but it's made by Hikvision. Before adding the doorbell to BI5, I was already using a Hikvision app for live remote viewing and to store video on a micro SD card. I've done no port forwarding and I can view my front porch on my cell phone anywhere. Once I purchase the BI app for the cell phone, I don't plan on using the Hikvision app. But this is what's weird to me.

In BI5 on the web server page, under "local, internal (LAN) access" it shows
http://5.2xx.2xx.2x:81
and "interfaces" the same public IP. The drop down menu for "interfaces" also lists the local IP address of my dedicated computer, but it wasn't chosen. Both public IP addresses were entered by BI5 when I added the doorbell. I believe I can (and should) override these two entries with the true local IP address of my computer. But I'm trying to understand why these public IP addresses might be filled in automatically. Do you think these public IPs might be the relay server that my Hikvision app connects to in order to show me live video when I'm away from home? Is there another explanation? I do not believe my home network has been hacked. When I did an IP location search however, it did list the IP address as being in Iran. :( :o :shock: :?
MikeBwca

Re: Weird IP Confusion With Blue Iris 5

Post by MikeBwca »

I'm curious, what type of suggestion(s) did you get on that 'other' website?
What country/City are you located in?
What Cable provider do you have?
What Cable modem/Router do you have?

A screen shot of your BI Webserver page would be helpful. (You can change the Remote Access IP address before making the screenshot, then just click 'Cancel'. You don;t have to worry about the local IP addresses - not much of a security threat - they should be the same for everyone)

Also, a screenshot of the 'ipconfog' command (step 1) would be helpful.

Your local internet address should be 192.168.x.x, with the port # in the http:// field. If it says otherwise, then yes, something weird happened.

To find your actual IP address & gateway...
1. Open a cmd window. Click the start button and type 'cmd', and clink 'cmd' that appears in the list.

2. type: ipconfig
- The 'IPv4 address' is your computers ip address. This should be the ip address in the 'Local' fields of the web server.
- The Default Gateway' is your gateway, or, router address. This IP will not appear in BI.

3. Find your public ip address. Go to Google, and enter 'What's my IP'. This is the ip address that should be in the 'Remote' field of the web server.
If the web server 'Remote' field' does not match your public IP address, then click the 'Refresh' button on the web server settings page. It should change. If it does your okay, and you can stop here. But, it wouldn't hurt to continue.

If it does not change, or changed to a strange IP address, then yes, you may have been compromised.
Check if your internet connection options have been changed to use a proxy server. A proxy server will funnel all your internet activity thru them, then out to the internet. This would mean someone could monitor your activity and data.
4. Click the 'Start' button, and type 'Internet Options', Then click 'Internet Options' that appears in the list.
5. In the 'Internet Properties' window that will appear, click the 'Connections' tab.
6. Click the 'Lan Settings' button.
7. The 3 check boxes should be unchecked (clear).
If the box is checked under 'Proxy server', make a note of the address, then change it to 'localhost' with port 8080, then uncheck the box.
Click 'OK''s to save and exit.
8. Go back into BI settings/Web Server, and click the 'Refresh' button. It should now change to your actual IP address you found in step 3.

If this resolved your issue, I would suggest changing your public IP address, AND, your passwords on various web sites... Bank, shopping, email, ...
XrayDoc88

Post by XrayDoc88 »

The only suggestion made at ipcamtalk was that perhaps this could happen if I was using a "paid vpn", which I'm not.

Live in Parker, CO, USA. Have fiberoptic internet through CenturyLink. Use pfSense on a computer as my router.

I stumbled upon something while checking ipconfig /all. It lists an additional ethernet adapter called "leaf networks adapter" with the exact same public IP address that was populated in my local settings on the BI5 webserver tab. I have a Netgear NAS called ReadyNAS 628X. I believe the leaf network adapter is a virtual adapter that gets installed when I install the ReadyNAS software called ReadyCloud. I don't fully understand why my NAS requires this virtual adapter, but it might be what allows me to connect to my NAS from remote locations. It looks like BI5 picked up that leaf networks IP address. What also confuses me however, is that my other computers that also have the ReadyCloud app installed have different public IP addresses listed for their leaf adapters. If that public IP address is what gives me remote access to my NAS, I would think it might be the same on all computers. :?:
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

XrayDoc88 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:16 am I posted this same issue at ipcamtalk but only got one reply.
I've never gotten anything useful from the IPScamStalk forum.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

I've never gotten anything useful from the IPScamStalk forum.
I have, I got banned :lol:

For the noobs here, I got banned for helping somebody on this forum with a firmware file supplied by Dahua Andy. Quite a good forum, with a lot of technical users, but you always had to be careful that you didn't upset flunderman. ipcamstalks [sic] won't be getting a Christmas card from me :!:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:21 pmbut you always had to be careful that you didn't upset flunderman.

Yep, be careful of flunderman's delicate little ego or you'll trigger him. Then he'll have a hissy fit and react with the only tool in his box, the Coward's Ban Hammer, lol.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
LyndMc

Post by LyndMc »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that got banned over there. I asked a few simple questions and the guy I was chatting with went nuts. I can only guess that he though that I was questioning his expertise, I honestly still have no idea. It wasn't even a heated conversation, I guess he took offense to the fact that I was asking for more explanation?? I reached out to the moderators and told them that this guy was off his rocker. Turns out he was a moderator himself and he instantly replied and called me an a**hole! I quickly replied, no, you sir are the a**hole ..... I got banned for life!
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

LyndMc wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:29 pmGlad to hear I'm not the only one that got banned over there. I asked a few simple questions and the guy I was chatting with went nuts.
Welcome to the real Blue Iris forum. Yes, the other forum appears to be run by a tender snowflake with a fragile ego; you're the latest in a long line of people that sought help there and were banned for it. Practically everyone here has been banned by them, so you're in good company. :)

Below is the official announcement on this site regarding the other site:

Blue Iris and third parties
Posted at 14:01h in News by Ken
"After recent and continued negative feedback, we need to emphasize that this website is the one and only official Blue Iris website. We are not affiliated with any other site which may offer to resell or support Blue Iris. To be quite specific, IPCamTalk is a fully third-party website which many customers have found abusive–it is recommended that you instead visit the official Blue Iris forum."

Now, cue Blunderman to send out some more of his illiterate "Yoo hert mah feelins' an I'm gunna sue yoo!!1!" emails. lol