Check FPS and Key Rates Warning!

Pogo

Re: Check FPS and Key Rates Warning!

Post by Pogo »

HeneryH wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:01 pm
Neewham wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:44 pm The i-frame interval should be equal to the frame rate (for best responsiveness and stability).
So it sounds like the units for i-frame are "frames/interval"

and iframe being equal to the frame rate means that you get one i-frame per second

(x frames/sec ) / (x frames/interval) = 1 interval / sec
Basically, yes.

Put another way for a different perspective....

A key frame is not a measurable unit. In the abstract, it is conceptually a 'marker' relative to other variable units/intervals (frames, seconds) which ultimately determine the value of the key frame itself (in time) according to the nomenclature/terminology chosen by any given vendor of a given product.

This is precisely what drives me crazy when I see folks preach "Make absolutely, unequivocally, so help you God, sure that your I-frame is set to '1'." Compared to what if the vendor says 15 or 30 and Blue Iris folks preach "equal to the frame rate for best responsiveness and frame rate" -- which is a conditional Blue Iris caveat, not a 'feature' by any means.

Key frames provide different functional characteristics for different conditions and applications. That's why they can and should be changed when doing so can provide a more desirable result..., and also why more vendors are using a 2 second interval for H.265 hi-res cameras..., which show up as half of an I-frame in the BI status window and are all too often considered to be incorrectly configured cameras followed by "the I-frame must be set to 1" even if the vendor says 2, 10,20, or 30. Blue Iris says it should be ONE, dammit!

Granted, the general IP video standard is 1 key frame every second regardless of everything else -- or however one wants to muddy the waters with proprietary or brand based terminology. The point is, to proclaim it's the correct interval is just flat out wrong and incorrect/bad advice. And again, compared to what?

Sorry for the mini-rant. I yield the floor.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Pogo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:06 pm Put another way for a different perspective....

A key frame is not a measurable unit. In the abstract,...
I think it is precisely the very definition of a measurable unit. It is the literal count of the number of delta frames that pass before a new complete frame is sent. Counting is as measurable as it gets :-)

How to interpret that and act though may have a lot of confusion.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Ok, Henry... :lol:

I gotta hand it to ya for persistence!

In my 'abstraction', (and in the literal sense), the 'unit' is the interval between each individual 'marker' (key frame), hence 'key-frame interval' just like it sounds. Call the key frame a 'segment' of the 'unit' if you will.

It counts nothing. It represents a unit of activity in time term (regardless of the number of frames involved) typically measured in seconds, e.g., a '1 second I-frame interval'. It is simply the index marker segment defining the quantity of time (not number of frames) contained within the interval 'unit'.

Basically what you posted, just my weirded out version. :P

We're fundamentally on the same page. Neither of us like warnings. LOL