V5 Pricing clarification

General discussion about Blue Iris
akira6968

V5 Pricing clarification

Post by akira6968 »

This seems a silly question, but can anyone clarify that the price is for the purchase of (at least) a static product for lifetime? I have a friend that said (some years ago) he tried Blue Iris but after a year he was required to pay the full price again. I SUSPECT he was offered a major upgrade, and didn't read carefully enough.

I am looking for a clear answer as to whether I am purchasing a single, lifetime license for a single product.

(I do not care about updates in regards to this question, although I may consider them in the future and of course I would not expect free updates for life by any means.)

Fantastic software, by the way. Gave it a trial try and am thoroughly impressed!
MikeBwca

Re: V5 Pricing clarification

Post by MikeBwca »

The price is for the current major version, currently V5. Each major version V4, V5, V5, requires a fee. If you subscribe to one of the support plans, you can perform updates via the BI program, and, the next major version is included at no cost - if within the support plan period.
Otherwise, there is a reduced cost for upgrading to the next version.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

And your key is good for that purchased version forever** BUT... there is no guarantees that something might change in the future to invalidate your older sw and make it unusable.

Any changes that would cause your old sw to stop working aren't intended to kill your sw but that might happen as collateral damage.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I **think** HeneryH is saying that a future Windoze update could prevent an older version of BI working . One day :(
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

TimG wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 pm I **think** HeneryH is saying that a future Windoze update could prevent an older version of BI working . One day :(
There was recently a change to the way that BI authenticates that made BI3 unusable. I think they went with https rather than http for license verification and that broke BI3 forever.