Remote viewing crashing/slow

General discussion about Blue Iris
nickgosling

Remote viewing crashing/slow

Post by nickgosling »

Hi,

I have 8 cameras all working well and I am delighted with Blue IRIS. However as I have added cameras the app seems really slow when on a remote connection despite upgrading my broadband to 350/35 mbps. On my WiFi it is fine so it must be something to do with the external connection. However all the cameras are port forwarded so that I can access them directly with another app and they do not have any buffering issues so i am suspecting a blue iris config.

Does anyone else have similar problems. I am now frequently force closing the app in order to get it to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BI5. Windows 10. i7 7600k. SSD all recordings.
JimBoCA

Re: Remote viewing crashing/slow

Post by JimBoCA »

Have you gone thru all of this?
https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizing-b ... cpu-usage/

Especially the section: Limit decoding unless required
Many users turn this feature on for all their cameras without understanding it, but love the drastic CPU usage savings it provides. Later, they discover that their server's CPU usage hits 100% when they connect to Blue Iris through the web interface or a client app.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Port forwarding cameras individually is NOT the model to be followed with BI.

You should only port forward your BI server (preferably through a reverse proxy, but that is another story).

Can you describe your router configuration?

Also, can you screen shot your camera statistics page so we can see what kind of bitrate we are dealing with? Something like this
nickgosling

Post by nickgosling »

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll have a look when I get home and send an update. All much appreciated.
nickgosling

Post by nickgosling »

Blue iris status.JPG
Blue iris status.JPG (104.73 KiB) Viewed 11687 times
Thanks for the reply. This is the status view.

My router config is this:
Cable Modem ----> Asus 66u router -----> Cat6 to Switch ----> Cat 6 to PC
Port forward port 81 to ip address of BI PC.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Port forwarding :shock:

I would expect to be making a lot of new friends from the far east doing that.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I port forward to an Nginx reverse proxy front end to BI.

I think that provides a reasonable balance of ease of use and security. And it lets me easily create and renew free LetsEncrypt certs.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Ooh ! I felt that one go right over my head :lol:

I presently use OpenVpn on my router to allow only my mobile phone to connect remotely to BI5, and all ports are closed. Can you explain if your method has advantages over mine ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

The primary advantage is that you don't need to establish a VPN connection prior to use. For you as a single user who knows the tools well it might not be a hassle. But if you deal with any other users who want to connect, having them setup the VPN is a non-starter.

Your method is much more secure.

My method basically takes a very well trusted compute instance and opens ports to just that secure instance. All the instance does is accept connection requests (with lots of options) and forwards them to the appropriate server.

My secure instance is a Linux virtual machine that is set up to act as its own computer with its own IP address. On that computer I run an Nginx web server. The Nginx web server is configured to run like an front-end for any number of internal web servers (BI being one of them). My Nginx instance can also be very easily setup to manage free LetsEncrypt SSL certificates to users don't need to click through that warning about self-signed certs thus giving users a better sense of security when connecting.

Levels of Security...
  • No access from internet to BI at all.
  • Access from internet to local net using a VPN. Still very secure, but could be considered a hassle for users.
  • Access from internet to local BI instance through a dedicated secure proxy (like secure Linux with Nginx proxy). As secure as Linux/Nginx is which I think is a pretty good bet for now.
  • Access from internet to local BI instance through limited port forward to BI Win Server. Eghhh, as secure as Windows is.