elgato Stream Deck XL

MikeBwca

elgato Stream Deck XL

Post by MikeBwca »

Anyone have elgato Stream Deck XL, and has gotten it to work with Blue Iris? Can you post an export of a profile with BI?

Got it this morning. It's awesome.

Tested it with VLC, Google Chrome. But, it does not seem to work with BI. I've tried disabling Firewall, Virus protection.

Tested by setting up a few commands like 'Esc', 'Play/Pause', 'Overlay Toggle'... Nothing seems to work.
Tested Profile switch by Program. Works for all Profiles I setup, including BI.

https://www.elgato.com/en/stream-deck-xl
MikeBwca

Re: elgato Stream Deck XL

Post by MikeBwca »

Found the solution.

I needed to start the 'Stream Deck' program 'As Administrator'.
Simplest way is to set the .exe to 'Run as Admin' in the Program folder. That way, any shortcut will also run as Admin.

The Stream Deck is... awesome! It will be a nice addition to my Shuttle Pro.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

MikeBwca wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:39 am The Stream Deck is... awesome! It will be a nice addition to my Shuttle Pro.
I've seen these and they look interesting. My impression was that they were mostly useful for streamers; can you give me an idea of what it would be useful for in terms of Blue Iris?

On another note, I have a Shuttle Pro but it often "disconnects" from the PC and the controls no longer do anything; I'm still trying to figure out why that is and how to fix it. It just stops working after a while and reinstalling the Shuttle software seems to be the only way to get it to wake up and start working. :(
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Thixotropic wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:44 pm I've seen these and they look interesting. My impression was that they were mostly useful for streamers; can you give me an idea of what it would be useful for in terms of Blue Iris?
I would use it for programs, like... VLC, DaVinci Resolve, Various Video editors, and, Blue Iris.

For Blue Iris, the Contour Shuttle works best. I haven't labeled and installed the button inserts. At an angle, I wouldn't be able to see them anyway I think. I figure I can use the Stream Deck for other keyboard shortcut functions in BI. I've setup a few buttons, and it works very well.

Thixotropic wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:44 pm ...
On another note, I have a Shuttle Pro but it often "disconnects" from the PC and the controls no longer do anything; I'm still trying to figure out why that is and how to fix it. It just stops working after a while and reinstalling the Shuttle software seems to be the only way to get it to wake up and start working. :(
This used t happen tome also. Sent Countour a msg about this, and they suggested the following things to try...
- 'Change Target Application'. Didn't work for me.
- Copt the profile to another profile, then delete the original. Seemed to work a few times, then failed.

I discovered that each time I rebooted, the Shuttle would stop working.

This is how I would resolve the resolved the Shuttle Pro issue each time it happened...
I uninstalled, then reinstalled the program. The profiles are saved in AppData, and is NOT uninstalled by the uninstaller.
DO NOT use REVO uninstaller, or another uninstaller program other than Windows.
When you re-install, your profiles will still be there!.
Backup your profiles to be sure you can always get them back.

After I did this several times, the Shuttle stayed connected - even after a reboot. So... I have no idea what really happened.
MikeBwca

elgato Stream Deck XL

Post by MikeBwca »

A note about the 'elgato Stream Deck'.

The Stream Deck was updated to changed profiles according to the program that has focus. Much like the Contour Shuttle. You choose which program(s) will change profiles. All other programs will share the default profile.

Each button has it's own color lcd screen. It has a icon maker, and you can make your own. Icons can be animated gifs. You can even rgb in various ways individual buttons, or, across the entire panel of buttons.

It would be awesome if they included a jog/shuttle, like the Contour Shuttle. Then, it would be complete.
I'm planning on getting the Smaller Shuttle and using that with the Stream Deck.

This is best known for streamers. But, it uses are endless.

The Stream Deck has...
- Folders, and subfolders. Nor sure the max.
- Pages. Not sure the max.
- Profiles, These can be changed manually, or, automatically when you click on a programs window.

Profile can have folder and pages.
Folders and pages can be mixed.

The result is you can setup a 'Windows' profile that acts much like the 'Start' menu, and setup folders/pages with the commonly used functions & programs you use. I'm going to set this up, save the profile, then post it to algato.

When I finish the Blue Iris profile, I'll post it here. But, for the 32 button Stream Deck XL.

You can also setup macros & scripts.
For example, setup a button to ...
- make a 'Restore Point'.
- open Event Viewer to show recent errors. Another for warnings...
- open pgm(s) in a defined position & size via plus-in - similar to ShellFolderFix.
...and lots more.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Thanks, MikeBwca.

Yes, this is what I've been doing too...uninstall, reinstall, etc etc. I thought I'd gotten it solved some time ago but then it started disconnecting again with each reboot.

The BI settings persist through an uninstall/reinstall cycle, so at least there's that. I have my .pref file with the BI config saved in about 73 different places, lol.

I found this suggestion which claims to be "the real fix", but I haven't tried it yet:
Try saving (within the contour shuttle device config.) the settings file as *global settings*. That did the trick for me. I'll cross my fingers. First (within the contour shuttle device config) create new profile...import the profile and then save it as global settings. Then make sure that *global settings* is checked in the task manager when you hover your mouse over the contour shuttle icon.
So....the next time this happens I'll give this a try and let you all know how it went.

MikeBwca wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:31 am I discovered that each time I rebooted, the Shuttle would stop working.

This is how I would resolve the resolved the Shuttle Pro issue each time it happened...
I uninstalled, then reinstalled the program. The profiles are saved in AppData, and is NOT uninstalled by the uninstaller.
DO NOT use REVO uninstaller, or another uninstaller program other than Windows.
When you re-install, your profiles will still be there!.
Backup your profiles to be sure you can always get them back.

After I did this several times, the Shuttle stayed connected - even after a reboot. So... I have no idea what really happened.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Here's the solution that worked for me...

Issue: After a Restart/Boot/Login' of Windows, Shuttle will stop working for BlueIris.
Temp Solution: Repair the install, but do not restart when it asks.

Previously, I've set the 'ShuttleEngine.exe' to administrator.

Solution: Set 'ShuttleHelper.exe' to Administrator.
Maybe both need to be set. But, setting the 'ShuttleHelper.exe' resolved the issue.

================================================================
Message on the BlueIris forum:
================================================================
Re: Jog Shuttle Support for BlueIris?
Post by Arjan » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:46 am

Hi,

I got a workable workaround from the Contourdesign helpdesk;

Elevating the ShuttleDriver:

1. Open your task manager.
2. Hit the tab "Processes"
3. Find the "Shuttle helper" in the list.
4. Right-click and hit "Properties".
5. Go to the tab "Compatibility"

Note: You may have to click the ;Change for all Users' button.

6. Check the box "Run this program as an administrator".
7. Hit "Apply".

This solved the issue for me (with newest driver .4)