Blue Iris on Proxmox Hardware Specs Questions

YrbkMgr

Re: Blue Iris on Proxmox Hardware Specs Questions

Post by YrbkMgr »

Thanks to both of you. Makes sense, cool implementation.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
Lepelot

Re: Blue Iris on Proxmox Hardware Specs Questions

Post by Lepelot »

Hello, guys
After 4 yrs. running BI on an old dedicated Lenovo I5 machine, I am also thinking about a more powerful machine with Proxmox to run not only BI in a VM but also replace my TrueNas/Nextcloud/Plex machine currently on an old HP Compaq machine.

With this idea in mind, I am starting to run some test on an old Optiplex 7010 with an I5-3470, with 8gb ram.

I managed to installed a Windows 10 VM with 2 cores and the full 8gb ram, the VIRTIIO drivers are installed and nothing else is running on Proxmox (Windows is not yet activated). It seems to work fine, however when I launched Blue Iris 5, the Windows VM crashes immediately and restarts. Yet it seems to work ok with other software. With Sweethome3D, the 3D video animation is pretty crude as expected, but it is working. I know this will not be sufficient to run my 6 cameras (currently on BI on another machine) but it should be enough to evaluate the set up before the next step, please let me know if you have suggestions or see a reason why it crashes with BI, thank you