Blue Iris 5 Update Crashing

General discussion about Blue Iris
ThornappleMeadows

Blue Iris 5 Update Crashing

Post by ThornappleMeadows »

My BI5 installation has been working great for months. However, after running the update this morning, it now crashes on opening. I emailed support but with the basic support I am not confident in a quick response. I was hoping someone else may have experienced and solved this issue. I did try to uninstall and reinstall BI5. If I run it in the new installation "demo mode" without registering it, it works fine. If I upload my previous "backup.reg" settings, it crashes after opening to the cameras. I'm guessing I have some sort of windows registry issue that was caused by the recent update. I have 18 cameras with different settings and was hoping to avoid starting over from zero just to get back to where I was yesterday. I have already spent a few hours on this. Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
MikeBwca

Re: Blue Iris 5 Update Crashing

Post by MikeBwca »

When you uninstalled, did you also choose to remove all settings?

This doesn;t help you now, but... Before any BI update, I always...
- export the BI settings via the Settings general tab.
- backup the BI Windows registry settings.
- backup the BI program files folder.

There is a backup/restore feature in 'Blue Iris Tools', but I have no experience with that.
ThornappleMeadows

Thank you for the reply! I used Windows 10 uninstall under "apps & features" that states it removes the app and all related features. Maybe there was a better way to uninstall...

As you suggest, I should have done more to backup BI and associated data. I have been using the update feature inside BI for years. I have been updating BI5 right along without issue until now. I got so desperate yesterday that I paid for the $59.95 priority support and maintenance. Of course, it gave me a license key to unlock this feature in the software - that I can no longer access. I sent two emails to support. Hopefully someone will respond today.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my issue!
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I had about 6 crashes today using the timeline. Sent a msg to support.
ThornappleMeadows

I have attempted to post an update here but apparently I am being blocked?
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I see your post.
Iwannasee

Post by Iwannasee »

It doesn't look like anyone mentioned a resolution to the issue here, but it looks like the same thing is happening to me. I do have a couple more interesting points in case this helps anyone direct us to a real solution.

I had also been working normally until I rebooted the computer. I am not sure if BI had updated itself just prior, but after I rebooted the interface would immediately crash after opening. I discovered that I was able to open the interface by disabling my computer's network interface which obviously broke all of my cameras as well. I was then able to find that 5 of my 14 cameras can be turned on. If I activate any of the others the interface immediately closes. (Note that it isn't up to 5 cameras that work....it is 5 specific cameras)

I tried clearing all old recordings and doing all of the maintenance on the database and even removing the entire application and reinstalling. The same thing happens - the same 5 cameras still work. I tried renaming a camera thinking it would start a new database entry, but that doesn't work. Finally I tried completely rebuilding one of my cameras and that also didn't work. I purposely chose a camera that was the same brand and model as a functioning one in case there is some crazy issue with certain kind of camera that I have. Nothing I can find allows me to turn on anything other than the 5 cameras that I was able to turn on. The only note there is that I initially had 6 of them working, but while trying everything I could think of one of those 6 also now causes the software to crash.

The only things I haven't yet tried is to load the software on a completely different PC....and manually clearing the system registry during the reinstall. Neither of those routes are very fun so I was hoping someone else had already been down this path. Any ideas would be welcome!
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi Iwaanasee,

Firstly, which version of BI are you running, and secondly, have you tried cloning the settings from the working camera to the same type non working camera ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.