Thumbnails on timeline?

muzicman0

Re: Thumbnails on timeline?

Post by muzicman0 »

Thanks. Full disclosure...I pulled the trigger a couple days ago and bought it. Mostly for the reasons you pointed out.

To answer your question about 'why', Once I got beyond 2 cameras for the Synology, I have to start purchasing licenses. For 1 extra camera, it was a little over $57. That got me looking at other options, since I can see adding a couple more cameras in the future. Once I figured out how to set up text notifications, then the mobile app became a nice to have instead of a must have. I also have a samsung watch connected to my phone. Does the jpeg come through with a text msg on your watch (haven't actually tried the sms yet). With the mobile app, I don't get the image. Isn't a huge deal though since I mostly use BI to know if my dogs are barking. Security is the 2nd priority for me though, so it would be nice.

In my case, I set up what's called a reverse proxy on my network to access BI remotely. this forces a secure connection, which was a requirement for me. I also have an OpenVPN server for my house, which I could use (and I am considering). Either way, port forwarding port 81 for unsecure HTTP connections wasn't gonna happen!

I was aware of the trial extension, because technically, I had already used it, but I felt a moral need to not extend it again (since I work for a software company, I am probably biased towards fairness for the software company!!!). I had installed it a few months ago when I was originally looking for something, but since I discovered the Synology (which I already owned) worked, I never actually used BI, so they told me how to extend it.
(You ask me what time it is and I tell you how to build a watch - sorry)
LOL.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

muzicman0 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:52 pm Thanks. Full disclosure...I pulled the trigger a couple days ago and bought it. Mostly for the reasons you pointed out.
Right on. Like I said, hard to lose...
I also have a samsung watch connected to my phone. Does the jpeg come through with a text msg on your watch (haven't actually tried the sms yet). With the mobile app, I don't get the image. Isn't a huge deal though since I mostly use BI to know if my dogs are barking. Security is the 2nd priority for me though, so it would be nice.
Totally get it - form follows function (must have v. nice to have). Welcome to hell... (LOL). I set the watch up to receive sms notifications so I never need to look at my phone to see who texted. Phone can be in the bedroom and me in the kitchen - as long as the phone is still connected to the watch, don't need to look at my phone. Love that - not impolite to look at your watch either. Here's what I get:
BI SMS Galaxy Watch 3.jpg
BI SMS Galaxy Watch 3.jpg (23.62 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
In my case, I set up what's called a reverse proxy on my network to access BI remotely. this forces a secure connection, which was a requirement for me. I also have an OpenVPN server for my house, which I could use (and I am considering). Either way, port forwarding port 81 for unsecure HTTP connections wasn't gonna happen!
That strategy has too many moving parts for my small brain - I can't even spell proxy. Not judging the value of it for others, but I feel like I can get where I want other ways.

I've been thinking about must have and nice to have since 2013 and for now the mission critical function is to know if there has been a breach of a secure area. All I need is "hey bub... someone entered your screened in porch, here's a picture of it". I do not allow internet access, only local LAN. I like the option to if I need it, but just because I can doesn't mean I should - the driving question for me is "what does remote access give me?" I keep coming up with nice to have. That's me, and like my mom used to say "that's why they make 33 flavors of ice cream".

Also I don't want to become obsessive like Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched - "Abner, look what's going on now..." Obsessing about who's coming and going. That's just me flipping off the notion that people are supposed to jump when their phone tells them to - ruling instead of serving. It's my "tick" if you will (grin).

That said, I have NordVPN and if it becomes necessary, I'd rather port in that way. Since you have a VPN, that's a pert near foolproof strategy in my view. So if you go that route, I'd be interested in how you set that up.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 »

Turns out I was wrong also, I do get images on my watch from the app. It must have started after I got the jpgs on the timeline (I think we just came full circle).

I use the reverse proxy for a variety of services on my network, so it was already ready to go, so it was easy to set up. I also like to be able to check in on my dogs if needed (which is the primary use case for me).

Anyways, thanks for all the help. very much appreciated!