Amcrest IP8M-2496 cameras

tward392

Amcrest IP8M-2496 cameras

Post by tward392 »

I installed 2 Amcrest IP8M-2496 cameras. In Blue Iris 5 I'm having several issues:

1. Cameras seem to have a 4 second or so delay
2. If I set it to continuous record or when an alert triggers recording it bogs the machine down to where I can't do anything else on the machine.

I have 2 older D-Link DCS-932LB1 indoor cameras and I have one of them continuous recording right now and Blue Iris seems fine with it.

I don't have a powerhouse machine running so that could be the issue.

Intel Core i7 860
8 GB Ram
64 Bit
Windows 10 Pro
141 GB free of 464 GB Hard Drive
HeneryH

Re: Amcrest IP8M-2496 cameras

Post by HeneryH »

That CPU is 10 years old.

Toss it and the motherboard away and start from scratch.

It is so old that it doesn't support hardware acceleration and its core processing power is terrible compared to modern machines.

You can get a more modern machine for a couple hundred bucks.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for but it just won't ever work for BI.
tward392

Post by tward392 »

HeneryH wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm That CPU is 10 years old.

It is so old that it doesn't support hardware acceleration and its core processing power is terrible compared to modern machines.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for but it just won't ever work for BI.
I don't mind getting blunt honest answers, should it be dedicated to just Blue Iris?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Should it be dedicated to BI?
That is a tough one and will vary depending on how critical it is to have 5 nines of up-time. Some will argue that recording is mission critical and if you do anything else on the BI PC then you risk inadvertently doing something to cause instability. This along with the fact that you can get pretty cheap (less than $300 or so) business class machines adds to the argument.

All logic tells that it should be a dedicated machine.

But.... I don't :)

I have a machine that that runs 24x7 in my common area in my home that I use for BI and I also use for miscellaneous family use for my wife and me. Email, web etc.
tward392

Post by tward392 »

HeneryH wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm That CPU is 10 years old.

I got a new to me machine that supports the Intel Quick Sync (I7-6700), just got finished moving stuff over to it.... Didn't go dedicated.... It will run Blue Iris, do things on the Web etc.... Haven't tried Android Studio on it yet....