Is resize/re-encode on move from 'New' to 'Stored' possible?

initctl

Is resize/re-encode on move from 'New' to 'Stored' possible?

Post by initctl »

I was wondering if anyone had come across this situation and had already worked out a solution.

Due to the addition of some new cameras with a much higher resolution that my old ones, my previously ample storage is looking somewhat smaller than ideal at the moment.

I had seven 720p cameras and was comfortably able to store 7 days worth of footage in the 'New' folder and 30 days in the 'Stored' folder and still have plenty of free storage.

After changing a few things I now have six 4K or 2160p cameras and six 720p cameras.

The new 2160p cameras are recording the h265 4K stream and the 360p sub-stream as well as audio via 'Direct-to-disc' recording.

The old 720p cameras are recording the h264 main stream and audio via 'Direct-to-disc' recording.

I was wondering if:

a) there was any way to reduce the storage requirements by stripping out the sub-stream when moving the recordings from 'New' to 'Stored'.

b) there was any way to resize the video from the 2160p recordings to something smaller like 1080p when moving the recordings from 'New' to 'Stored'.

c) if anyone had any advice regarding storage plans in general as I don't know if the 'Continuous' recording should be changed to something like 'When triggered' or 'When alerted'.

Whilst I'm able to store two weeks of footage with my current 8TB of storage I am planning on adding another four or possibly six 4K cameras in the near future, and with the current settings that won't be able to store two weeks of footage so I'm trying to work out a useful solution that doesn't involve purchasing an external HDD or NAS to supplement the storage.

------------------------------------

Current storage usage for reference one week sample.

ALL cameras = 3.3TB per week

CAM02 (720p) = 114GB per week
CAM03 (720p) = 68GB per week
CAM04 (720p) = 89GB per week
CAM05 (720p) = 418GB per week
CAM06 (720p) = 84GB per week
CAM07 (720p) = 159GB per week

CAM08 (2160p) = 345GB per week
CAM09 (2160p) = 389GB per week
CAM10 (2160p) = 432GB per week
CAM11 (2160p) = 428GB per week
CAM12 (2160p) = 358GB per week
CAM01 (2160p) = 443GB per week
YrbkMgr

Re: Is resize/re-encode on move from 'New' to 'Stored' possible?

Post by YrbkMgr »

if anyone had any advice regarding storage plans in general as I don't know if the 'Continuous' recording should be changed to something like 'When triggered' or 'When alerted'.
On this specific point, my strategy is and has always been to record when triggered. Especially now that AI is integrated with BI, I have set my camera very very sensitive so I record whenever there's a trigger and let DS sort out when to alert me. But I still have the cancelled alert recordings if I need them. My use of BI is for my home, so I don't need continuous recording.

Also, I move Stored to an external USB HDD at 50 GB or 30 Days in an effort to reduce local storage used.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
initctl

Post by initctl »

Thanks YrbkMgr.

I did consider doing this, but was concerned about how to deal with situations where there is movement detected, then no movement but the object of interest is still in the frame, etc.

Continuous recording just seems like the simplest solution, but I may try switching a couple of the cameras to record when triggered.

Now I need to find out what the difference is between recording when triggered and when alerted.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

initctl wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 am Thanks YrbkMgr.

I did consider doing this, but was concerned about how to deal with situations where there is movement detected, then no movement but the object of interest is still in the frame, etc.
This thought occurred to me: why would you be interested in making sure you record when nothing is changing? If movement stops, even if it's a person, when it starts again, it'll trigger... right?

That said, I'm not saying you should stop cont recording, but if the reason is because you don't want to miss that "movement no movement" thing... you could increase your pre-trigger record time (mine is at 5 sec) and increase your break time (mine is at 10 sec). So my recordings have an extra 15 seconds to see what's going on.
Now I need to find out what the difference is between recording when triggered and when alerted.
The way I interpret the difference is trigger when alerted means to start recording if the event meets the conditions to send an alert. When triggered means to start recording when the camera is triggered by it's motion settings. In other words... when set to trigger when alerted no recording will be made unless an alert is triggered.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
initctl

Post by initctl »

Thanks again.

I've set a couple of cameras to record "When triggered" for now and will see what the results are like and will tweak as appropriate.