Using SSD for /Storage

Thixotropic

Using SSD for /Storage

Post by Thixotropic »

What's the consensus on using an SSD for the Blue Iris /Storage directory?

In my case I have the '/New' and '/Database' directories on the local PC that runs BI, but my '/Storage' directory is stored on a NAS.

Since my '/Storage' directory only gets written to about once a day, I'm thinking I may change it to an SSD. I wouldn't do this for the '/New' and '/Database' directories since they get written to frequently but for the '/Storage' directory I don't see any reason not to use an SSD.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Re: Using SSD for /Storage

Post by TimG »

I can't see the benefit of using a SSD for "Storage", as you don't need a fast drive for that if you already use "New" drive (You would need a fast "Storage" drive if you didn't have a "New" drive). You are also restricting the amount of GB available by not using a mechanical drive.

I use a separate 4TB WD Purple mechanical drive for storage and a separate 250GB Evo 850 SSD just for the db & New. The SSD must have been in operation for BI for over a year now, and Samsung Magician today shows it as 52.1TB written, and in GOOD health at 12,004 hours on time. Time to get a spare drive now I've said that :lol:

None of this is important though. My system works fine; so does yours. It just goes to show how adaptable BI5 is :D
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Re: Using SSD for /Storage

Post by HeneryH »

Reiterating a bit of what Tim says..

They will work fine but
  • The big benefit of SSD (speed) isn't really useful for video.
  • The price premium you'll pay for large storage amounts isn't economical.