Migrated BI to new Server but license?

Homer81

Migrated BI to new Server but license?

Post by Homer81 »

I've was running BI 5.3.1.6 on my old server and tried to migrate the license to a new server running 5.8.7.8.
I followed the instructions in a BI forum post about the registry, re-activate, activate, etc.

My question is

The new server shows activated, but because my license was for an older version, I see "evaluation version" on all of my camera's.

Is there a way to go back to the old version or am I forced to buy a new support/update which I don't really need ( quite happy with my previous build)
TimG

Re: Migrated BI to new Server but license?

Post by TimG »

We see this a lot. It's a mess. You are correct that you either need the older version or a support plan. You can get that older version of BI5, but not from the official site; they keep them at ipcamtalk but it's not a friendly forum.
I think I need to bring this to Ken's attention.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Homer81

Post by Homer81 »

Thanks for the reply TimG.

Just want to confirm.

I can pay $35 for support, which then means I can upgrade to 5.8 ? Hopefully fixing some bugs that I occasionally get (like the web server binding IP changing) -- Although I don't need any of the AI or other features past 5.3 -- Is this possible for a one-time fee?

Or try to find an older version on unsupported forums - potentially laced with malware.

Hmmmm
TimG

Post by TimG »

I hear you !

The support plan will give you 12 months of updates to BI5. If you tick BI5 to retain versions while updating, you could then put those later install files somewhere safe. You can then make a decision in 12 months time if you want another 12 months or to stick with the version you have.

Please be aware that if you try in the future to install a new version of BI5 that is not covered by your support plan, that you will be in demo mode again.

I hope that clarifies things :D
Forum Moderator.
Homer81

Post by Homer81 »

Indeed it does. The process of migration was pretty straight forward. I'll figure out what to do with this part. Love the software, great value for a long term usage. Prboably will just pay to get the latest and avoid downgrades to current install.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Homer81 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:15 am Thanks for the reply TimG.

Just want to confirm.

I can pay $35 for support, which then means I can upgrade to 5.8 ? Hopefully fixing some bugs that I occasionally get (like the web server binding IP changing) -- Although I don't need any of the AI or other features past 5.3 -- Is this possible for a one-time fee?

Or try to find an older version on unsupported forums - potentially laced with malware.

Hmmmm
Fenderman is a prick of epic status, but I would trust downloads from his site. He just archives installers with every new version released. I would actually just pay the service charge actually, but if I hadn't, I would have no problem getting the installer from ipcamtalk. Just my opinion.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

TimG wrote:We see this a lot. It's a mess. You are correct that you either need the older version or a support plan. You can get that older version of BI5, but not from the official site; they keep them at ipcamtalk but it's not a friendly forum.
I think I need to bring this to Ken's attention.
I raised this in an exact/similar thread to this.

Would be really good if the BI main site kept a copy of all the stable release updates. It would also be good if the associated update text could also be stated for each stable release, at the mo there is just one long mad list of updates where it’s not possible to see what features/updates came with which release unless you have been paying particular attention to the updates as they came along.
Homer81

Post by Homer81 »

I agree as my old 5.3.1.6 build did everything I needed, except for the occasional web server binding issue. I don't need all the new enhancements, which is why I didn't upgrade.

Hopefully someone at BI can give this a thought. Or maybe the number of people migrating servers is small ?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Migration usually means moving the existing version to a new hardware platform and transferring the license accordingly by de-registering the old box and then migrating the license to the new hardware and then forking over the $35 to obtain a new support and upgrade license.., if desired, or perhaps necessary . This method is obviously based on the one year support and upgrades policy time limit usually being expired in such a migration.

Returning to an older licensed version is fairly simple by grabbing it from IPCT. Once it is up and running you can then determine how many newer releases occurred before your actual support expiration date and upgrade to any version within the initial year of support up to the expiration date.

Just migrating the 5.3 to a new hardware platform may solve some of the minor issues. But if not, you still may have several upgrade options within your original support window which may do the trick without having to pay for a new license and all the new headaches that seem to accompany each newer and more stable release.

Here's the basic rundown and a link for 64 bit versions..., once get past the insane full screen ads. Sheesh.

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blueiris- ... ion.62279/
TimG

Post by TimG »

Full screen ads ? That's what he who shall not be named boasted about when he banned me from there for helping somebody here with a firmware file.
Cough - PiHole - cough...
Forum Moderator.