Blue Iris on Proxmox Hardware Specs Questions

IronSheepdog

Blue Iris on Proxmox Hardware Specs Questions

Post by IronSheepdog »

Right now, I have Blue Iris running on an Intel NUC 8 with a Core-i7 8650U with 8GB of RAM. I don't have any issues with it at all. It rarely uses the full CPU or RAM. I have eight cameras, currently.

I also have a small server I built myself running an Intel Xeon E-2146G with 32GB of RAM with four 4TB WD red drives in a Raid Z2 array. Right now, I am running TrueNAS Core with jails of Plex and Nextcloud as well as a VM of Ubuntu. I am thinking about, instead, running Proxmox VM and virtualizing TrueNAS Scale. Basically, I'd like to run Proxmox on my server with TrueNAS Scale virtualized as well as an instance of Plex and Nextcloud. I'd also like to run Windows 10 virtualized and dedicate that solely to Blue Iris.

As of right now, my TrueNAS Core build rarely uses even half of the RAM installed and I hardly ever see the CPU usage go above 10% when idle. When Plex is in use, I rarely see it go above 30%.

What are everyone's thoughts on running Blue Iris on a VM in Proxmox with the hardware that I have and the other software that I want to install? I have everything backed up so I can wipe the pool out if I need to. I just hate to go this route and start over and have it not work well.
HeneryH

Re: Blue Iris on Proxmox Hardware Specs Questions

Post by HeneryH »

LoL - have you posted this to the "other" forum yet? LoL

Sorry, I have to laugh. Not at you, at the situation.
IronSheepdog

Post by IronSheepdog »

OK. I'm totally lost. What "other forum"? That IP Cam Talk forum? I figured people would know here better.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Do me a favor and please post this over there. Just for fun. When he says no, tell him you really like proxmox and it is quickly becoming a standard in well respected data centers.

And wait for fm to go totally ape $%&, ban you and then try to dox you.

On the technical merits, I am not particularly sure but the key for efficient use of BI is getting access to the hardware accelerator for video decryption. Can the GPU be passed through to the app level?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Hi IronSheepDog

Unfortunately I can't personally speak to all of the particulars of your setup, I don't have a one-one system. That said, regardless of our 'buddy' over at ipcamtalk... I am and have always run BI on a Windows VM (VMWare ESXi) with no issue at all. I am absolutely using older hardware than you are so I would think your experience would be all the better. My only other slight difference is that mine is running on Server 2022 (full GUI) instead of W10 which should also be a fun topic at the other forum. That said, there is no issue running BI on a Server OS... I believe mine started on 2016 -> Server2019 -> now Server2022. I only use this as opposed to Win10 because I have a free and valid Standard license for it so it's easy... plus, it's software providing a 'service' 24x7 - should be on a 'server'. Since you have backups (which lets be honest, is the reason to virtualize) then I would have zero reservations giving it a shot. I'd expect a good experience.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
IronSheepdog

Post by IronSheepdog »

HeneryH wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:18 pm Do me a favor and please post this over there. Just for fun. When he says no, tell him you really like proxmox and it is quickly becoming a standard in well respected data centers.

And wait for fm to go totally ape $%&, ban you and then try to dox you.

On the technical merits, I am not particularly sure but the key for efficient use of BI is getting access to the hardware accelerator for video decryption. Can the GPU be passed through to the app level?
I posted it on IP Cam Talk and haven't had that reply yet. LOL!
Matts1984 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:31 pm Hi IronSheepDog

Unfortunately I can't personally speak to all of the particulars of your setup, I don't have a one-one system. That said, regardless of our 'buddy' over at ipcamtalk... I am and have always run BI on a Windows VM (VMWare ESXi) with no issue at all. I am absolutely using older hardware than you are so I would think your experience would be all the better. My only other slight difference is that mine is running on Server 2022 (full GUI) instead of W10 which should also be a fun topic at the other forum. That said, there is no issue running BI on a Server OS... I believe mine started on 2016 -> Server2019 -> now Server2022. I only use this as opposed to Win10 because I have a free and valid Standard license for it so it's easy... plus, it's software providing a 'service' 24x7 - should be on a 'server'. Since you have backups (which lets be honest, is the reason to virtualize) then I would have zero reservations giving it a shot. I'd expect a good experience.
I mainly asked this question because I installed Windows 10 as a VM in TrueNAS and noticed is was HORRIBLE at sucking the resources. My CPU was at 75% to 100% usage with the VM running. On the other side of it, I did read from others that Windows 10 on a VM in TrueNAS is not a good idea because it does suck down the resources for some reason. I was just afraid I'd have that same issue with installing Windows 10 on a VM in Proxmox.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Hey fellas, I have a rudimentary understanding of virtualization, with only a couple months of stick time "working the levers". I am curious about the following:
  • Basically, I'd like to run Proxmox on my server with TrueNAS Scale virtualized as well as an instance of Plex and Nextcloud. I'd also like to run Windows 10 virtualized and dedicate that solely to Blue Iris.
And
  • I am and have always run BI on a Windows VM (VMWare ESXi) with no issue at all.
In the spirit of "Form Follows Function" (Frank Lloyd Wright) It's not immediately obvious to me why one would use BI on a VM... and NAS software too? SMH - I'm clearly not connecting the dots - I know what you're doing, but I don't know why. Why did you guys choose that strategy - performance, dedicated task, ease of management...???
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
IronSheepdog

Post by IronSheepdog »

YrbkMgr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:33 am Hey fellas, I have a rudimentary understanding of virtualization, with only a couple months of stick time "working the levers". I am curious about the following:
  • Basically, I'd like to run Proxmox on my server with TrueNAS Scale virtualized as well as an instance of Plex and Nextcloud. I'd also like to run Windows 10 virtualized and dedicate that solely to Blue Iris.
And
  • I am and have always run BI on a Windows VM (VMWare ESXi) with no issue at all.
In the spirit of "Form Follows Function" (Frank Lloyd Wright) It's not immediately obvious to me why one would use BI on a VM... and NAS software too? SMH - I'm clearly not connecting the dots - I know what you're doing, but I don't know why. Why did you guys choose that strategy - performance, dedicated task, ease of management...???
Probably because the one server in my house is the most powerful computer (other than my gaming rig). Right now I'm running Blue Iris on a NUC. It works, but the NUC runs a little hot. I want to run it on something more powerful and I'm not in the market for building another computer. Why build another one when I have one powerful enough to handle a Windows 10 virtualization?
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

BI Will run jut fine on a VM. Install the Demo and add various cameras. Watch the Host CPU increase for each camera added, and make a determination if it's feasible. Note that the Demo version will use more CPU.

My rig's BI averages 4.8% cpu with 7 cameras and 3 clones.

In Windows-10 VM, BI Demo with 3 Cameras Continuous 2 second Pre-buffer...
- VM BI using 8-10%, With 1 camera 2-3%
- Host VirtualBox using 15.6% average cpu. With 1 camera 5%

You will get much better response if you link a physical HD/SSD to the VM running BI, and write the DB & BVR's/Videos there!
IronSheepdog

Post by IronSheepdog »

MikeBwca wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:39 pm BI Will run jut fine on a VM. Install the Demo and add various cameras. Watch the Host CPU increase for each camera added, and make a determination if it's feasible. Note that the Demo version will use more CPU.

My rig's BI averages 4.8% cpu with 7 cameras and 3 clones.

In Windows-10 VM, BI Demo with 3 Cameras Continuous 2 second Pre-buffer...
- VM BI using 8-10%, With 1 camera 2-3%
- Host VirtualBox using 15.6% average cpu. With 1 camera 5%

You will get much better response if you link a physical HD/SSD to the VM running BI, and write the DB & BVR's/Videos there!
Thanks for that info. I was actually considering purchasing a WD Purple drive just for the recording of the video.