Setting Up Laptop to Host BI5, Start up On Reboot

PaulHillman

Setting Up Laptop to Host BI5, Start up On Reboot

Post by PaulHillman »

If this is answered in the forum somewhere, simply point me in that direction. I searched and couldn't find anything.

I have an older laptop that runs BI5 just fine for my 7 cameras. Averages about 15-30% CPU usage, plenty of disk space, etc.

I want to set that Dell to boot up (without login credentials, located in a secure locked room) and load Blue Iris 5 so I can log into it via a web browser elsewhere on my home network and remotely.

Anyone know of a good checklist to follow to get that set up?
YrbkMgr

Re: Setting Up Laptop to Host BI5, Start up On Reboot

Post by YrbkMgr »

I don't know of a checklist, but I know many people who do exactly what you're describing. It's pretty straightforward in general, but what caught my eye was this:
I want to set that Dell to boot up (without login credentials, located in a secure locked room)

Provide a bit more detail on the boot up business - why does it need to boot up? Will the BI server run unattended forever, or will admin access the machine for maintenance and such? First thing that came to mind was... is he trying to get it to boot unattended? And what's the bit about login credentials?

The way I see it, you configure your laptop (BI Server) to run with admin privileges, and run as a service. You only need to enter credentials that one time. From that point forward, you never need to log into the BI console - It runs as a service at every boot, and you can log in to UI3, review the BI App on your phone (if you use it), or whatever... I've gone several days without launching the console.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
HeneryH

Re: Setting Up Laptop to Host BI5, Start up On Reboot

Post by HeneryH »

BI has an option to run as a service so when the computer powers up, it launches the BI daemons.

Whether the user logs in or not is irrelevant. The services are running and the web UI server is running. Users can choose to log into Win and access the client app main UI or not.

Getting the laptop to power up and get to the login screen is all you need and that is normally done on desktops via a BIOS (or whatever the new flavor of BIOS is). I assume the laptop is the same.