Piecing together a BI build.. could use some help/comments..

SandmanXX

Post by SandmanXX »

Please see other post. Admin, if possile, please merge to my duplicate post. It was an accident, sorry ;(

Been using lorex nvrs for a few years, tired of the software they use.
Here's my layout....

Home network, 40+ clients wired and wireless. Asus GT11000 router, 2 other asus routers in AImesh mode. All networking works fine atm.
Lorex NVR is cabled to local network as well. I can view on PC, or switch source on samsung tv to hdmi for nvr viewing.
9 cameras, 4k, setting future expansion number to 16 possible total, for now. All are ONVIF. 1 of the 9 is a ptz, should be no problem in BI.
I will be fixing up an older pc by adding drives, ssd for boot and wd purple for cameras. This older pc will only be used for blue iris, -maybe- in the future running homeassistant in docker, that (HA) currently is on a Odroid nuc.
Older PC, i7-9700K, 16gig, z370 MB. No graphics card currently. That, and all drives were swapped to new build.
I'm going to record 24/7, and plan on using the deepstack ai, i've seen how to set it up on the hookup (youtube)
Might use the 6tb purple currently in the lorex nvr.

So, here's a few questions that I've learned I need to ask, so far.

Is it recommended to get an add on NIC card to keep the cameras on their own network, although I want to be able to access BI remotely and locally (tv and PC) for viewing?
Can I use both the 6tb purple and a second wd purple for camera storage through BI ?
is 9+ cameras going to bog down my current router? I do have an extra newer router (asus RX-55) if that's needed somewhere in this setup.
POE switch, I know is needed. I think I see where you just plug all 9+ cameras into the POE switch, then plug poe switch into a/the router (right?) or, using a second nic, should I possibly plug poe straight to PC second NIC, then use primary nic for current home network for access?
Update: ordered the Netgear GS316PP. Hope that is what it looks to be, and what I can use!
Windows 10 software taken care of.

Will I gain anything by using a cheaper graphics card, versus the CPU integrated ? I do want higher quality video where possible, using deepstack.

Using what I have now, getting purple drive for data and ssd for booting the older pc, if that poe switch will work, anything else I'm missing? And if I need to add/clarify anything, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by SandmanXX on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

You could add a 2nd NIC and then connect that NIC to the switch, this way you effectively isolate all the cam traffic and keep it on the POE switch.

This is what I do, as said keeps traffic off the main home network and keeps the cams isolated from the internet should they decide to call home.

It does mean that in order to logon to the cams you do need to logon to the BI box first but for me it’s not an issue as once the cams have been setup then I hardly ever need to logon to them.

For disks BI can make use of additional disks, you might be limited by the case but I have 2 installed in my BI PC, a 6Tb and a 8Tb and it set some cams to write to one the rest to the other to split the load/writes across them.

BI should be able to make use of the built in graphics to offload some of the load from the CPU. I don’t personally use Deepstack so can’t really comment but people are using it with a graphics card installed and running an appropriate version of DS which can make use of the graphics card.