Maximum hard drive size?

Darrenmv

Maximum hard drive size?

Post by Darrenmv »

Does Blue Iris have a limit on how big of a hard drive you can allocate?

I am saving my clips to a drive that has 52.7TB total capacity. I am doing this using Microsoft Windows' built-in storage pool feature. I want to keep 30TB in the NEW folder and 25TB in the SAVED folder. However, Blue Iris seems to freak out at the size of this drive.
main scren.JPG
main scren.JPG (42.62 KiB) Viewed 202785 times
status.JPG
status.JPG (56.5 KiB) Viewed 202785 times
storage pool.JPG
storage pool.JPG (27.46 KiB) Viewed 202785 times
IAmATeaf

Re: Maximum hard drive size?

Post by IAmATeaf »

You do realise that if one of the drives dies in that pool you’ll lose the entire pool content as you don’t have resiliency setup?

I’d rather have individual drives configured and then set BI to write to specific locations, at least then a drive dying would only take out just the recordings on that drive and only the cams set to write to the space would be unable to record.

In your config everything would be unable to write and you’d lose the whole kaboodle!
Darrenmv

Post by Darrenmv »

I can go ahead and rebuild the pool with resiliency. But I can't figure out why Blue Iris is reporting the drives are over allocated.
TimG

Post by TimG »

But I can't figure out why Blue Iris is reporting the drives are over allocated.
My allocation graph looks very different to yours, as I don't have much grey "Other files" at all, probably less than 2%. Do you know what the "Other files" are, or is that the issue you are writing about ? As I understand it, if BI5 believes you are already using some of your pool, it will show the overallocation error if you then attempt to allocate it. When I look at the second line graph, I can see that it starts at the end of the grey of the top line graph. In my case that is far over to the left and the complete second line graph is inside the limits of the beginning and end of the top line graph. In your case the second line graph starts half way along the top graph line, and the end is outside the top line graph. The question seems to be "Why does BI5 believe your drive is half full of "Other files"" ?

In other words, you appear to have a drive pool with 52.7TB in total.
You have allocated 30TB for "New".
You have allocated 25TB for "Stored".
You already have 20+TB of "Other files"
So you have allocated 75TB of a 52.7TB pool. Close enough to that 19TB error you are seeing.

So:
1. Do you know what the "Other files" are, or is BI5 wrong about them ?
2. Have you tried lowering the sizes of your "New" folder by 20TB - at least temporarily - to see if the error goes away ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Did you ever resolve this? Just wondering.

When I’ve replaced drives in my BI PC my allocation has gone screwy for a while but a couple of DB rebuilds normally resolve the issue. Seems like it does take a while for the change to the allocation to be picked up and for things to fall into place.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Yes, I would like to know if we understood it or not, as these allocation questions pop up regularly. Let us know if we helped you resolve it 8-)
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

You might try database maintenance...
p 113 help
if a discrepancy is found, you can Repair the database either with a button on the Storage page in Status, or via a right-click menu in the Clips list, Database—>Repair/Regenerate.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Another abandoned thread by the OP. :( I feel so used! ;) lol
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

MikeBwca wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:07 pm Another abandoned thread by the OP. :( I feel so used! ;) lol
Right there with ya pal.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.