New PC Drives configuration

IAmATeaf

Re: New PC Drives configuration

Post by IAmATeaf »

Is it worth have a New and then moving to Stored?

Also you might kill the SSD quicker if you are continuously writing to it.

On my rig I have 2 SATA drives and I just write direct to the drives splitting the cams across the drives so that I have some redundancy. By this I mean that for my front driveway for example I set 1 cam to write to 1 drive and the other to write to the other.

Another thing to consider is if the CPU you have chosen will support any form of video acceleration? Does help to bring the overall load down.
KoreyVincent

Post by KoreyVincent »

IAmATeaf wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:04 pm Also you might kill the SSD quicker if you are continuously writing to it.
Hummm... Good point.
The 2TB PCIe 4.0 Samsung SSD 980 PRO has a TBW (Total Bytes Written) of 1200TB. And a MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) of 1.5M hours (171 years).
The 10TB WD Purple Pro Sata HDD has an Annualized workload rating of Up to 550 TB/yr. And a MTBF of 2M hours (228 years).
So it seems that the Purple Pro could handle more TB written than the SSD.

The SSD might do the job for quite a long time though. According to my very conservative calculations, I'd need 12TB for 60 days of video footage retention. At 1200 TBW that mean the SSD would survive around 16 years. That's quite good, no? Even if it'd go dead after 10 years, that'd be pretty good I think. And we'd have the perk of having snappier video playback for recent footage.

12 TB
60 Days
0.2 TB/Day
73 TB/Year
1200 TBW (Warranty)
16.4 Years

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB:
https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com ... ev.1.2.pdf
WD Purple Pro 10TB:
https://documents.westerndigital.com/co ... ta-hdd.pdf

IAmATeaf wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:04 pm Another thing to consider is if the CPU you have chosen will support any form of video acceleration? Does help to bring the overall load down.
Those CPU have Intel UHD Graphics P750 which does support Intel Quick Sync Video. That would do it right?
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Blimey that is a beast of a CPU.

In terms of playback, I have no problems playing back clips from my mechanical drives at all but there again it’s only my family that will be accessing and reviewing the clips.

My PC has an i5-6500 with 16Gb of RAM, 250Gb SSD and 2 HDDs, 1 6Tb the other 2Tb but I’m going to replace the 2Tb with either a 6Tb or 8Tb, have both drives sitting around but just haven’t decided which size to add.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

KoreyVincent wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:36 pm Those CPU have Intel UHD Graphics P750 which does support Intel Quick Sync Video. That would do it right?
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
Ha, yea I think you'll be just fine in the CPU department. My 11 year old CPU supports Intel H/W acceleration and I'm very happy with my utilization - I have a feeling you'll be just fine with yours.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
KoreyVincent

Post by KoreyVincent »

OK cool!

Have some of you used a SSD for New/DB before? Noticed any difference in speed of the GUI or else?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

SSD has awesome responsiveness improvements.

Are awesome responsiveness times required? No, but heck, it is nice to have quick reacting apps and fast start skip on video playbacks.

If you can assume the likelyhood of ever needing to playback older content is decreased, but you still might need it, that is the driving scenario for SSD for new and moving old to cheaper spindle disks.
KoreyVincent

Post by KoreyVincent »

HeneryH wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:05 pm SSD has awesome responsiveness improvements.

Are awesome responsiveness times required? No, but heck, it is nice to have quick reacting apps and fast start skip on video playbacks.

If you can assume the likelyhood of ever needing to playback older content is decreased, but you still might need it, that is the driving scenario for SSD for new and moving old to cheaper spindle disks.
Great! That's exactly what I want. I don't care much of the old videos. Probably we won't be using them very often. We're more interested in playback of recent videos. So I think the SSD will help in that scenario.
KoreyVincent

Post by KoreyVincent »

Thanks everyone for all the great replies! Really appreciate it. I can't wait to try our new BI system.

Cheers!
KoreyVincent

Post by KoreyVincent »

Hi again,

I saw somewhere that dual channel memory was better for BI. Does it make a very noticeable difference? Have you tried single vs dual channel?

I was planning to buy one 32GB RAM module. But if dual channel helps with the overall system performance, I guess it'd be better to go with two 16GB modules.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I would go for dual over single every time. I've never measured the difference, but it makes sense that it is faster. Be aware that if you have four RAM slots, you will need to read the motherboard book to ensure you use the two correct slots to enable dual channel mode.

You could of course then experiment with single and dual memory configurations.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.