Dell poweredge R720 + proxmox - SOLVED

newbee

Dell poweredge R720 + proxmox - SOLVED

Post by newbee »

It turns out i did not understand how the remote desktop actually worked, especially with video. Accessing the cameras via webserver fps is 15+

Hi.
Installed a VM with win10. I gave the vm 16 cores and 32GB RAM. installed demo version of Blueiris (will buy licence)
The server has 2 x Intel Xenon E5-2670 V2's 10 physical cores each 20 with hyperthreading so in total 20/40 and 115GB RAM. for testing I used direct attached SSD (will use the SAS disks later)

I understand that the processors does not have HW acceleration "quicksync", but i thought i could just throw more resources to mitigate this (planning to run max 6 cameras)

I connect one camera using RTSP (testing with a wyze v2 camera) i followed a guide that someone posted about this specific camera.

On this WIN10 / Blueiris VM as described i get very bad performance, single digit fps, laggy and basically unusable. (connecting to VM via remote desktop)
VM CPU and Memory load is pretty low.
Server has 0% IO delay (its a Proxmox indicator of IO disk write queuing)

My current "production" setup is based on Synology security center, but i am moving away from that. The performance of the video streams are high quality, real-time and reasonable fps 15+ this with 4 cameras.

to my question is anyone using similar setup with success? if so, care to share you settings (VM and Blueiris)?
in general, would adding a GTX GPU help?
Last edited by newbee on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeneryH

Re: Dell poweredge R720 + proxmox

Post by HeneryH »

There are a couple of issues.

The biggest bang for the buck with performance is using Direct-to-Disk recording where BI takes the video stream directly from the camera and records it to disk without re-enconding it. BI WILL decode it for its own usage and triggering etc but it won't re-encode the stream for saving. This basically cuts in half the amount of video processing required.

I don't think that the eval license allows D2D. That is a strange marketing and design choice but I think it is what its is.

Second, BI is very video decode intensive and not having QS GPU will force all of that video decoding onto the main cores.

Third, your cores are on nine year old tech so they might not be performing well.
newbee

Post by newbee »

HeneryH wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:57 pm There are a couple of issues.

The biggest bang for the buck with performance is using Direct-to-Disk recording where BI takes the video stream directly from the camera and records it to disk without re-enconding it. BI WILL decode it for its own usage and triggering etc but it won't re-encode the stream for saving. This basically cuts in half the amount of video processing required.

I don't think that the eval license allows D2D. That is a strange marketing and design choice but I think it is what its is.

Second, BI is very video decode intensive and not having QS GPU will force all of that video decoding onto the main cores.

Third, your cores are on nine year old tech so they might not be performing well.
thanks, ill buy a license to try d2d out.
i think my synology dsplay18? is about same age and it has a small arm processor and basically no ram.. i would guess these intel plugs would at least match that one :)
what about adding a GTX 1030 or similar, it seems to provide HW support for encoding and decoding several video codecs?
newbee

Post by newbee »

D2D did basically nothing.
in BI CPU load 6% RAM about 200MB.
FPS at best 1 or 0,5.
FPS in wyze app 15+ same in synology security center.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

D2D did nothing on a licensed machine? It should have halved the decode/encode processing down to just decode. But again, that does not work on the trial license.

But then again, your CPU load is already low.
HeneryH

Re: Dell poweredge R720 + proxmox - SOLVED

Post by HeneryH »

And, where are you seeing the low FPS? Because there are separate settings for the display resolution and fps when using the console.
awdspyder

Re: Dell poweredge R720 + proxmox - SOLVED

Post by awdspyder »

Hmmm... something doesn't seem quite right. I'm using a MUCH older generation proc: HP DL360 G6s with E5540s (!) in a 2-node Hyper-V cluster backed by a DIY Linux fiber channel SAN. So I'm a good couple generations older than your E5s. I'm also pretty stingy with VM resources, and I've been testing BI in a Server 2019 VM with 2 vCPUs and 4 GB of RAM. BI is running as a Windows service.

I'm running 2 cameras over RSTP and, while I've tweaked some camera settings a bit to lower CPU (low-res sub streams, etc.), I'm seeing very modest CPU usage with captured frame rates of 25 and 30 fps, respectively. Streams are recording into a BVR container and D2D is enabled, though my understanding is this is not doing anything with the trial version. I'm only recording when triggered using object detection, and the one camera doesn't get a lot of traffic, but right now the server is sitting at ~25% CPU and 1.5 GB of memory utilization with the BI console minimized but running, 15% CPU and 1.4 GB of memory with the BI console closed.

Are those frame rates your specifying in the recorded video or the previews? The previews are set to 5 fps by default I believe, but I've seen recommendations to lower them to conserve resources.