Transferring to a new PC

jagradang

Transferring to a new PC

Post by jagradang »

Hi Guys,

I currently have BI running on my pc - 8 cams setup and all is working fine. I'm trying to setup a new machine (4 camera setup) but struggling to find anything descent due to covid and lack of stocks.

I'm considering swapping out the 8 camera unit (which is only about a year old and working perfectly fine) for a more powerful machine and then using this for the office.

So the proposal is:
Machine A - 8 camera unit (Lenovo M900 i5 6500)
machine B - HP EliteDesk 800 G4, i5-8500

Move the HDD and SSD from machine a into machine B - hoping this will just powerup and work without any changes? (unless BI license is linked to hardware?)
Use new ssd (which came with machine B) - do a fresh install for BI into machine A and set that up for the 4 camera setup

Would this work? or would i need to do fresh installs on both machines?
TimG

Re: Transferring to a new PC

Post by TimG »

I have two BI5 licences, and recently swapped the licence with the valid support plan from the BI5 test pc to the main BI5 pc and turned the "test" BI5 off. You can move BI5 licences between pc's as long as you don't run two pc's with the same licence.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
RACMSBC

Re: Transferring to a new PC

Post by RACMSBC »

Dell outlet has some very nice workstation deals. I picked up a Precision 3640 I9 10900k, 64gb ram, 256gb nvme and 5 year pro plus warranty for $800 dent/scratch sale. Computer looks brand new and works like a champ

Moving BI from one computer to another.

Old computer - Record the license number, export settings and remove hard drive(s) used to store BI Footage then select the deactivate button under settings

New computer - install hard drives, assign the hard drives under computer management, install BI 5, enter license, restore settings from old pc export, verify settings are good POOF DONE!

You cannot remove boot drive from one computer to another. If you want to use the same boot drive from old computer on the new computer you will have to reinstall windows or whatever os you are using

Thanks