Windows 11 requirements - Bit of a shock !

Matts1984

Re: Windows 11 requirements - Bit of a shock !

Post by Matts1984 »

I just updated my primary computer (not my Blue Iris system) yesterday which was not TPM (1.2) or CPU (3rd Gen i7) compliant but otherwise was ok. I applied the 'officially supported' MSFT registry tweak and Win 11 installed just fine. We'll see if that comes back to bite me at some point in the future but - I feel like I already made some tweaks that made the system more secure and I don't see it being LESS secure than Win 10. I just like being current and fully acknowledge this computer is pretty old - it just still runs really well for my use. Some day I'll need to replace it but it's running smoothly for now.

Also since we're sorta on the topic..... I DID also upgrade my BI server to Server 2022 and that didn't require any sort of hacks or anything. Running really smooth and kind of has a hybrid look between Win 10 and Win 11. Nothing major to write home about but it's the shiny new object now.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

My laptop has been working fine, use it every few days but I have to admit I do find W11 being all white and so much brighter annoying in the evening, overall it’s just way too bright. I’m sure I cam set a much darker theme but not looked into it yet.

I also pulled out my old desktop which has an old Asus P5Q-Deluxe all singing-all dancing motherboard with a very old legacy BIOS. Powered it up to try and retrieve some old family videos off it but the damned thing would lock up at the starting Windows black screen. Tried installing W11 on it and it was no go due to having no TPM. Eventually ended up installing W10 21H2 onto it and was really surprised when it eventually managed to get all the devices installed all working, all except the SoundBlaster Audigy card that is installed in it. So credit to MS and the developers of W10
TimothyGr

Post by TimothyGr »

Windows 11 marks a big departure from Windows 10 in terms of design, but the two operating systems are very similar under the hood. With the new OS now available on select devices — and through upgrades rolling out from Microsoft — comparing Windows 11 vs. Windows 10 has never been more important.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

TimothyGr wrote:Windows 11 marks a big departure from Windows 10 in terms of design, but the two operating systems are very similar under the hood. With the new OS now available on select devices — and through upgrades rolling out from Microsoft — comparing Windows 11 vs. Windows 10 has never been more important.
If you’re going to quote from an article at least say so, give a link or give then credit?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digita ... -10/%3Famp
SolarEclipse

Post by SolarEclipse »

IAmATeaf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:22 pm My laptop has been working fine, use it every few days but I have to admit I do find W11 being all white and so much brighter annoying in the evening, overall it’s just way too bright.
I've been using Windows 11 on a laptop for about a month now. It runs everything I toss at it just fine, but I do find the continuing design choices of making everything spread out, as if I'm on a phone (and Android 12 is getting worse in this respect too) and going to touch my screen (it's not a touch screen) with my large fingers instead of a mouse.

Not having context menus when selecting files in the File Manager has been the biggest annoyance so far. Why that wasn't included is a mystery to me.

I have 3 other computers in my house that aren't able to run Win 11 (they are all > 6 years old) but I'm not going to worry about them. I'm sure with time and attrition I'll be replacing a couple of them, but no hurry here.

As I work in Tech for a living I have to learn Win 11 as our company will likely upgrade our systems, that can, to Win 11 next summer/fall. Can't wait for my non-techie users seeing the "improved" (yeah right) Start Menu. They'll just love it (sarcasm).
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

@SolarEclipse isn’t the missing File Explorer context menu a known bug/issue? Doesn’t seem to affect everybody though, it’s fine on my laptop on which I did a clean install.

As it happens I’m just in the process of doing an in place upgrade on the home desktop computer which has a lot of apps installed on it, has a load of architecture apps, drawing apps, photoshop, premiere pro … so will see what happens.

Had to use the official Microsoft registry to by pass CPU and TPM check in order to do the upgrade.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Well the upgrade went without a hitch and the right click context menus in File Explorer also work, so bonus

All the installed apps work so no issues that I’ve initially spotted.

Another thing that I don’t particularly like about W11 is the laziness of some of the Microsoft developers, the right click context menu in File Explorer, they’ve sub-classed it to display a nice new pretty menu but when you click on more options you’re presented with the old menu.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

IAmATeaf wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:23 pm ...the right click context menu in File Explorer, they’ve sub-classed it to display a nice new pretty menu but when you click on more options you’re presented with the old menu.
I agree.
Be prepared, I believe that eventually, the old content menus will 'go away'.

Microsoft is on a mission to make Windows look the a phone/Tablet, and follow the Uuntu type desktop. I do not like Windows 11. Apps!!! Looks more like an android phone/tablet!
mcdowelljc

Post by mcdowelljc »

Just so you ALL know, there is a workaround to the Windows 11 requirements.
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/byp ... equirement
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

mcdowelljc wrote:Just so you ALL know, there is a workaround to the Windows 11 requirements.
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/byp ... equirement
I used the official MS hack to bypass the TPM and CPU check on the home desktop which you have to do in order to do an in place upgrade. The desktop supports TPM 1.2 so the bypass could be used.

Again nothing of worth to report, the clean install on my laptop and the upgrade went without a hitch and both work as expected.