Windows 11 requirements - Bit of a shock !

TimG

Windows 11 requirements - Bit of a shock !

Post by TimG »

There appears to be a storm brewing about the cpu and tpm requirements for Windows 11. Intel 8th gen onwards ? that means no more i7-7700k which has been the sweet spot for home cctv for some time. No Ryzen 1 and only some Ryzen 2 ? My Ryzen 1800X server has been excellent and handles everything I load it up with. And as for my old 8 core Amd FX-8350 (4Ghz), that doesn't even have "Security devices" in Device Manager, so that's a non starter.

Now if Win11 is going to do something awesome like stop ransomware in its tracks then I can see the point. If it isn't, and it's just eye candy for young people, then it just means that MicroSoft wants you to buy a new computer. I presently have four pc's of which two are running 24/7. Am I going to replace them all at once ? Hello Linux.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Re: Windows 11 requirements - Bit of a shock !

Post by HeneryH »

I agree. An i7-7700k with 32gb of RAM and it fails :(

You can install the Insiders Preview build with no CPU or TPM requirements but can't say what the future holds.

To load the preview build you need to be in the Beta channel (W11 channel). Your system might switch you back to the Preview channel (W10 channel) if you fail requirements but you can just change to Beta Channel (W11) again.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Microsoft will either provide a way around this or face massive backlash.

If they don't provide a workaround then I imagine I'll be running Win 10 forever, and without any updates.

Failing that, yeah, I'll put Linux on the box and run Win 10 in a VM. I'm buying a new PC when I'm ready, not when Microsoft is ready.
Last edited by Thixotropic on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

Well it looks like they went for backlash.

Hello Linux.
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

My personal view is that Microsoft have underestimated how the public will react.

None of my home PCs or laptops except for 1 meet the min specs, am I going to rush out and buy new hardware, no bloody way. Heck even some of Microsoft’s own current products aren’t compatible so can’t see how they can blindly continue. It also does now look they are relaxing the requirements by having a disclaimer that you acknowledge to say anything will be your fault!

With the current emphasis on green etc. I’m just waiting for the media to catch up and promote.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I've disabled TPM in BIOS so that Windows will not upgrade to 11.
TimG

Post by TimG »

No trouble with pesky TPM's on my older motherboards :D

The ones that can do it are running Ryzen 1800X's, and that was not on the compatibility list last time I looked.

So, does Win11 save the world from ransomware, or is it just eyecandy ?
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I just updated my laptop to W11, really out of curiosity. It was TPM compliant but wasn’t processor compliant so was expecting the install to stall.

Downloaded W11 from MS using their media creation tool to put the install into a USB stick. Had a spare 500gb SSD so swapped out the exiting SSD and the install didn’t even message about the CPU.

Too early to say if it feels quicker/slower but with the small play around I had with it it just felt a bit more rounded and I’m not just talking about the rounded corners on all the dialog boxes

Installed all my normal software and office 2016 and all the main software I use works including the software me and my son uses to talk to our cars.

There were quite a few updates to install and again the updates seemed to install quicker?
terk

Post by terk »

You can override the processor check to upgrade to Windows 11 or just install on unsupported hardware, the problem is supposedly their security updates for Windows 11 will check and not apply to unsupported hardware.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

The updates on my laptop downloaded and installed without any issues.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that IE11 is no more which might be an issue but you can run Chromium Edge in compatibility mode to get around this where IE11 is needed such as when logging onto a cams GUI.