PC Recommendation

Sleeepy2

PC Recommendation

Post by Sleeepy2 »

Looking for a recommendation on what I can do to speed this up.
I have an i5 4570 with 16GB DDR3 which I run headless for several things.
It has my Plex Server, a VM for HomeAssistant and a VM for PiHole and of course is running Blue Iris.
At idle the CPU is around 40-50% with blue iris using around 35%. Memory is at 53% with blue iris using around 1,400 MB

When I try to view Blue Iris remotely it spikes to 90%.
I am only running 3 camera's right now. 2 Dahua's and 1 camera from a raspberry pi.

Without getting a brand new PC, what I can I do to help this? Would a dedicated graphics card help in any way? Blue Iris is using around 13% GPU?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
MikeBwca

Re: PC Recommendation

Post by MikeBwca »

How are you recording cameras? Continuous? Only on trigger?
Are your recordings Direct-To-Disc, or, being encoded?
Are your using hardware acceleration? Intel, or Nvidia?
If your using acceleration, are ALL the acceleration options enabled? There are more then just in the cameras Video settings.
Do you have Limit decoding enabled or disabled?
What fps are you running your cameras at?
What are the cameras keyframes?

There are many options that can effect cpu/gpu usage and hdd access.

IMO... get as big a desktop as you can with the $ you got. I think to many people try to squeek by with as little as they can. Ohhh yeahhhhhh... get the Binford 5000... grunt grunt grunt... :roll:
spammenotinoz

Re: PC Recommendation

Post by spammenotinoz »

Sleeepy2 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 pm Looking for a recommendation on what I can do to speed this up.
I have an i5 4570 with 16GB DDR3 which I run headless for several things.
It has my Plex Server, a VM for HomeAssistant and a VM for PiHole and of course is running Blue Iris.
At idle the CPU is around 40-50% with blue iris using around 35%. Memory is at 53% with blue iris using around 1,400 MB

When I try to view Blue Iris remotely it spikes to 90%.
I am only running 3 camera's right now. 2 Dahua's and 1 camera from a raspberry pi.

Without getting a brand new PC, what I can I do to help this? Would a dedicated graphics card help in any way? Blue Iris is using around 13% GPU?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi, sorry CPU usage by itself is a terrible indicator. Why? because under low load, a modern processor lowers it's clock speed to save power and will run as close to 100% as possible.
Under load the clock speed increases. So you need to track the combination of clock-speed and utilisation.

To lower CPU usage;
Direct to disk is the way to go, don't use overlays, probably the two biggest items.
Remote viewing needs to decode so of course CPU will be high!!
Other options like limit decoding can greatly reduce CPU (except remote viewing), as you are asking here don't use it. Too many other considerations if you do.
Reducing CAM resolution and framerates drastically reduces CPU.

Also recent plex had some issues with high-cpu, and make sure transcoding in plex isn't set to make your CPU hurt. It can really kill the GPU.

Apart from high-cpu, are you having any issues you think are caused by high CPU?