PC Location

Uke733

PC Location

Post by Uke733 »

Complete Newb, just starting to plan an install for home.

I would like to hide the PC that Blue Iris will run on. The install really lends itself to hiding it as well but not absolutely necessary.

I guess this would limit me to the web app for playback and rdp for config. Is there any limitation that I should be worried about or is directly connected PC playback highly recommended?

Appreciate all opinions,

Thanks.
Matts1984

Re: PC Location

Post by Matts1984 »

My server runs on an actual rack mount server in my basement with no monitors connected (not conveniently anyway). RDP and WebUI (UI3) has been working fine for me! The UI3 interface itself causes negligible added resource utilization, if configured properly, so this is a great solution in my opinion.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
terk

Post by terk »

I ran my BI server with no monitor or keyboard connected for a few years the only reason I ended up connecting a touchscreen monitor was there were a few times on reboot where the system didn't come back up and I'd have to dig out a monitor and keyboard to hookup to see where it got stuck to know what to do to correct it. RDP works for all config and I use the BI mobile app for most everything. If I were going to be exporting large amounts of footage I'd do it through RDP but for just exporting a few minutes of video every once in a while I find the mobile apps export much more convenient anyway.
athlonxp

Post by athlonxp »

I run BI server also headless, rdp and tightVNC server for backup. I use an IP power switch for situation where the system doesn't come up after updating Windows. In BIOS/UEFI there is always an option: "Restore on AC/Power Loss” setting to “Power On”.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Yup, similar here. My BI5 server is running headless in a room where multiple spinning drives and fans don't matter. I use Ui3 on PC's and Firesticks (Silk Browser) around the house, and use Splashtop (Remote desktop viewer) to do maintenance.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.