Anyone using 'Storage Spaces'?

MikeBwca

Anyone using 'Storage Spaces'?

Post by MikeBwca »

I have 2 2tb SSD's that I've been using with BI. I've split the cameras putting half on one ssd and the other half on the second ssd.

I've been testing Windows Disk Management Stiped volume. It works fine. Except that Dynamic Disks is legacy AND TRIM in not available. Not a huge deal, but it adds a little overhead since each block needs to be be cleared before writing new data. I've decided not to use this.

Was wondering if anyone is using Windows 10 Home Storage Spaces. I hear that this supports TRIM for SSD's in the storage pool(s).
I'm planning on testing this out the next time I clear the BI DB.
SolarEclipse

Re: Anyone using 'Storage Spaces'?

Post by SolarEclipse »

I'm using Storage Spaces on a Windows 10 Pro box with "old fashioned" rotating platter hard drives.
I've never had any issues using them and always keep a weekly backup of my files if they should fail.
As long as your drives are the same size then it's a simple way to combine them.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I just tried Storage Spaces with two identical SSD's and it refused them :? Ho hum.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Error 32. The www tells me I might be able to circumvent this error by temporarily disabling the drives in Device Manager. Yup. Disabled both, then enabled one and successfully created a new storage pool with it. Enabled second drive and added it to the same storage pool :D

Must be something cached on these drives, which is odd as they were unformatted.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.