System for 8-10 cameras

Kaladin

System for 8-10 cameras

Post by Kaladin »

Hello everyone. I want to setup a system to run 8-10 cameras with possibly 2 being ptz. I've read the articles regarding recommendations on cpu and buying refurbished pc's for the purpose of running the system but I wanted recommendations from people that do it everyday. So I welcome any ideas if you have the time. Thanks.
TimG

Re: System for 8-10 cameras

Post by TimG »

It's a difficult one to answer. MyBI5 system presently resides on an I5-3330 pc that was given to me as a failed pc. All the guy wanted was to know that I would destroy his data. My system was previously running on an AMD FX-8350 until Windows blew a fuse. Cpu loading was higher on the intel cpu, but that has reduced since sub-streams became a thing.

You could look here to see what other people are running https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
norwestie

Re: System for 8-10 cameras

Post by norwestie »

I just upgraded from an i7 4th gen to a 6th gen i7. Both with 16gigs of ram. I saw 40-60% CPU usage to 20-35% on the newer one. I have 9 cameras, several 4k, the rest are 1080. I paid $269 for the used Dell Optiplex 7050 on eBay so you don't have to spend a fortune on a system.