Processors

TonyD60

Processors

Post by TonyD60 »

Hi Folks. New to BI. I'm demoing BI to replace my Network Video recorder that keeps getting hacked due to the port forwarding that must be enabled to get it working, and lack of security features.

Does BI support (or benefit from) the newer Gen 9 and 10 intel Core processors that come with the "Intel UHD Graphics 630" feature? Versus the Quick Sync Video on the "older" generation processors?

I'm demoing on a PC I no longer use. Windows 10 Pro, Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz and 12GB RAM.

The Processor utilizaion is at 27% with one camera. I can get it down to 3%ish using the substream, but the picture quality isn't what I need. I need to put 5-7 more cameras on it when I do a full conversion.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Saarlaender

Re: Processors

Post by Saarlaender »

I want to join this topic...

Also looking for some better PC configuration. I am using 3 Cams now (5 Streams so far; 2 Cams with each SD and HD stream, one Cam only HD) and in addition AITool for better recognition.

CPU is running between 50-85%, RAM is about 7GB (Win10x64)

3+ Cams to come (each 2 Streams) - wont be ok with this setup ^^

Maybe also certain GPUs can support BI (if not using direct-to-disc) and also for AITool
Last edited by Saarlaender on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi TonyD60,

I think the demo is locked down in a few ways, including not allowing "direct to disk" recording, which is a very big cpu saver. Going through your questions in order:

1. Ports: I personally use OpenVpn on my router so that I can close the ports. Ifirc BI will normally try to open at least one for remote access.
2. Intel cpu: I'm normally a AMD guy myself (My BI5 pc was a gift as it was broken), but I do know that the Intel gpu acceleration can work on h264 and even h265 if your cpu is new enough - there is a list on the www somewhere showing which cpu can do which. The inbuilt help file (Click the ? on the BI5 screen) doesn't give much away, but the intel guys here should be able to help.
3. CPU load: Direct to disk is great for reducing cpu loading, and there are many other tweaks too, including dropping frame rate to 12, and using sub-streams. The idea with sub-streams is to record the HD, but do movement detection on the SD image. Massive cpu savings, and a good picture.

If you happen to be the TonyD who has recently retired in the East Midlands of the UK, and you recognise my name, please send me a private message.

TimG
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I want to join this topic...
Please don't join with a different issue as it just confuses things. Please start a new thread.
Forum Moderator.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I have always thought that the 'trial' of BI had problems because it gave prospective customers a very bad taste with respect to CPU usage. If users can't take advantage of the single most important factor in tuning processor usage (direct-to-disk) then what is a prospect left with? An impression that BI is a CPU hog.

When BI has to 1) decode the video to do any analysis of if and 2) re-encode it to write it to disk you are automatically talking about a 2x performance hit.

As far as GPU goes, the best bang for the buck is using intel GPU acceleration. Nvidia was added not too long ago but the performance of that is not nearly as strong as intel.

There is a database online with a bunch of systems that users have in use showing the number of cameras and bitrates they are running with various processors. I need to find the link.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi HeneryH,

Do you mean this one: https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats

Do you have the URL for the site showing which intel cpu could do H264 or H265 etc ? We must have had people attempting to use H265 with an old gpu by now :o

These incredibly useful sites should be put in a sticky thread for all users.
Forum Moderator.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

This has it.

H265 is listed as HEVC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video