Upgrade or not

Post by aqus9444 »

Hi I am running Blueiris 5 with 6 cameras
1x 5000 MP
2x 1.3MP
1x 1MP
1x4MP
1x Nest doorbell using share...

All except 1 using continuous recording on a dedicated purple surveillance hardisk

System installed on an older server using a Dual core Intel E5800 3.20Ghz with 8G Ram
My server I use for files and Blueiris only. Besides Blue Iris not much activity.

When in service mode Blueiris hovers around 60% CPU usage for a total system of 65%
When using viewer Blueiris jumps to approx 80%-85% with system total to 95-100%

I did read and apply how to reduce CPU power bu using Direct to Disk, FPS max 15 etc.

My question is, when I view cameras the quality is ok but not great, When looking at recordings there is a small hesitation sometimes like missing frames.
I am looking to maybe upgrade to a I5-9400.
Will the upgrade improve video quality or recording quality. Not really planning in adding more cameras in the near future, maybe 1.
Just wondering if the $400 investment will improve anything.

Sometimes system is a little hesitant which is normal when at 100% but for the few times it happens doesn't bother me much.

Please advise.
Matts1984

Re: Upgrade or not

Post by Matts1984 »

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to IMPROVE the quality - though it may a bit. It should however greatly improve quality of life and the "smoothness" of your system... reduce lag, no hesitation or missing frames, and probably reduce power consumption/heat generation. I'd expect the quality of the image to still be essentially the same as that is what the camera is sending regardless. Originally I assumed you were just looking at a CPU swap but going from an E5800 to i5-9400 is a huge increase so I assume you're either doing a full hardware change or at least motherboard and CPU? If you're looking at a full rebuild anyway, and since you already have the storage disk, finding great deals on eBay is actually pretty easy and should come in under that $400 mark.

But yeah, I'd say an upgrade would be a good idea. Getting more CPU overhead might allow you to increase resolution or other tweaks on your cameras as well. Under normal situation - my server with pretty old hardware too - cruises under 5 or 10%. Heavy playback of images or watching live feeds at full resolution may bring it up some, but not much. Using substreams, direct to disk, and controlling fps & keyframes all made huge gains for me.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras