Multiple Ethernet Adapters - IP not staying

WeidnerJ

Multiple Ethernet Adapters - IP not staying

Post by WeidnerJ »

I have a VM which created a virtual IP address. BI seems to default to that constantly instead of the physical NIC, even when I check bind to the physical adapter. Means that I can't use any remote clients since I had to port map through my router/firewall.

Anyone else seeing this issue?
Matts1984

Re: Multiple Ethernet Adapters - IP not staying

Post by Matts1984 »

I'm running mine in a VM (on ESXi 6.5) but I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to do - also, I'm not an expert VMware admin.

My physical ESX host has two NICs, teamed together, using one IP address (lets call it 10.0.0.250). I then have my Windows guest running on the host with a virtual NIC and IP address 10.0.0.251. My firewall has it's external address and forwards traffic on port #### to 10.0.0.251 (optionally with or without a port translation as well).

Does this scenario not work for you? I'm not sure why a physical vs virtual NIC should matter?
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
WeidnerJ

Post by WeidnerJ »

Matts1984 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm I'm running mine in a VM (on ESXi 6.5) but I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to do - also, I'm not an expert VMware admin.

My physical ESX host has two NICs, teamed together, using one IP address (lets call it 10.0.0.250). I then have my Windows guest running on the host with a virtual NIC and IP address 10.0.0.251. My firewall has it's external address and forwards traffic on port #### to 10.0.0.251 (optionally with or without a port translation as well).

Does this scenario not work for you? I'm not sure why a physical vs virtual NIC should matter?
I have a Windows 10 PC that also have VirtualBox VM installed on it. Part of that install installs a virtual NIC within Windows. My BI server is on this Windows 10 box, and from time to time without me doing anything it switches from the physical adapter to the virtual adapter for the web server. When that happens, remote access to BI stops.

192.168.25.25 is my physical adapter, and 192.168.56.1 is the Windows 10 virtual adapter.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (60.09 KiB) Viewed 9616 times
MEB

Post by MEB »

Having the same issue it's like the virtual box adapter is online before the physical adapter so BI will attach to whatever is first available. I have even tried delaying startup of BI but it still attaches to the VB adapter because it's online first on boot. BI needs a blacklist for NIC adapters. I can't ever do a remote or scheduled reboot of the server without having to log in remotely and fix BI. And let's not forget windows still likes to randomly reboot for updates which totally breaks some of my security automations.
smcmarti

Post by smcmarti »

I have run into this issue on multiple builds, some VM's and some physical. I also use zero tier exclusively for phone and computer applications due to security risks of leaving exposed to the internet.
the solution I use is to find the blue irus in services, it must be changed to automatic (Delayed Start) this will allow the system to fully complete all windows service startups prior to starting BI. what I found was the reason the Network interface would change was due to the fact that it was not available. Delayed start will allow 120 seconds and that should be plenty.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I know there were people with two NICs (motherboard and Pci-e) who were having problems where BI5 would grab the wrong NIC. Ifirc support were going to allow us to set fixed IP addresses for the NIC to prevent that happening. I did wonder at the time if it was a "race" condition during start up of the pc.
Mine is set up with two NICs, one for the home network, and one for the camera network. I have the same set up on two very different pc's, and it just works for me :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.