Windows 10 Repair Disc - No Keyboard/Mouse

MikeBwca

Windows 10 Repair Disc - No Keyboard/Mouse

Post by MikeBwca »

Does anyone have any insight on this issue?

System: Windows 10 Home 64bit - Updates up to date.

I've generated both a CD & USB Windows repair. Also, I've generated a USB Recovery Drive. All do this.

The keyboard & mouse are fine in BIOS, Windows, UBuntu...

But, When one of these Repair/Recovery boots up and asks for 'Keyboard' type, the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive.
The Keyboard & mouse do light up during the boot process. But once the Repair/Recovery boots up fully they stop working.

If I restart, they immediately come back.

I recall this working in Windows 10 some while back.

I've searched online for a resolution. This issue seems to have started in some Windows 10 update back in 2015? No response from MS. There doesn't seem to be ANY resolution for this. Works on some systems, not on others. How people are 'resolving' this is to re-install Windows 10! Wow, a real nice 'repair'.

No mow Windows 10 Repair Disc I guess.
TimG

Re: Windows 10 Repair Disc - No Keyboard/Mouse

Post by TimG »

What connection does your keyboard and mouse use ? That seems to be the common factor.

I've had no problem during rebuilds using a MS wireless keyboard with a usb dongle, but I do have wired usb and even old PS2 keyboards available if it all goes pear shaped :?

If its usb, plug a few of them in - one may work when others don't.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Ahhh, yes... Details! lol

USB keyboard and mouse. I've tried different usb ports, and a different usb keyboard.

This happens on both my Windows 10 Home 64bit desktops. Maybe having something to do wth WinRE.wim missing. Not sure.

I'm making a 'Widows 10 Media recovery USB now, and will test with that.
I'm considering reinstalling Windows 10 using the 'Refresh' options to see if the recovery partition and WinRE comes back. If not, I'll try with the recovery media.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Please let us know the results. If they have removed recovery functionality like that, then I will be re-evaluating my chosen OS :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Tested with my 2nd Desktop.

Downloaded the latest Windows MediaCretionTool 1909, and wrote to a USB Seagate Cruzer Glide 3.0 16g. This contains the installation for Windows 10 Pro & Home, as well as the Windows Recovery.

I re-imaged my 2nd desktop using the USB MediaRecovery.
- Used a SSD drive with all partitions deleted. The install will then partition & format.
- Performed a Full install (not update) of Windows 10 Home. This partitions the SSD and creates the boot & 'C' partitions. When it asked to enter the license, I selected 'I don't have a license' - Windows will automatically activate via the new online activation (MS knows all!!!)

The system came back up, and automatically activated.
I made a usb 'System Drive'. The desktop booted up successfully, and I had keyboard and mouse, as well as the Windows repair tools.
Booted up with the Windows 10 Repair disc I already had, and it booted up successfully, and I had keyboard and mouse.

Fixed. In the process of configuring and installing pgms to get it back to where it was.

A few notes...
- Since I used the latest version of the Media Creation Tool (MCT) 1909, Windows only had to perform updates since the 1909 update. You can use an earlier version of MCT, but you'll spend a lot of time going thru the major upgrades & updates. Best to download MCT 1909 (or latest), and making a new USB MCT.
- If you bought a Windows license online, activation is automatic - you do not need to enter the license when it asks for it. You still have the license key and can still enter it if you wish.

A few notes on the new disk partitioning of Windows... (These are my conclusions, and may not be accurate)
- Windows 7 and I think earlier versions of Windows 10 had a boot partition of around 100 megs. Windows 7, and earlier versions of Windows 10, install would create a C and D partition. Earlier versions of Windows 10 install would also make a Windows Recovery partition.
- New Windows 10 install makes around a 500 meg boot partition, C partition, no 'D' or 'Recovery' partition!
- Turns out that the new larger size boot partition now also contains the WinRE Windows recovery! I guess too many people (me included) were deleting the 'Recivery' partition not knowing what it was, and Messing up windows recovery. This is a good change.

There are instructions to re create the 500 msg Windows boot partition, which copies the necessary boot files into the boot partition. But, I'm not sure if it also copies WinRE.

My every day Windows 10 Home desktop has a 99 meg boot partition - probably due to the free Windows 10 upgrade maybe! And, I deleted the Windows Recovery partition long ago. Also, when I attempt to create a usb Recovery drive, it also says 'Required Files Are Missing'. So it's more messed up that my other desktop was.
I'm also having some driver issues - the build in multi-card reader stopped listing mounted cards in 'Safety Remove' - I can still eject from File Explorer, or, HotSwap. ANd, the 'Policies' tab is missing from all the Multi-card devices. This happened a while back.

A new install of Windows 10 Home would solve all these issues, I'm sure. So, that's my plan. Kind of a hassle. Not looking forward to it, but it would stabilize my system.

As Yoda would say... Much re install I need do, yes!