Considering Blue Iris, any insight?

WCIPALLC

Considering Blue Iris, any insight?

Post by WCIPALLC »

Hello Folks-

We're looking at replacing our ExacqVision NVR . Blue Iris at the top of my list. Wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced folks here.

Background:
ExacqVision, for those that don't know, is actually run by Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI). JCI acquired Tyco Security. We had Tyco install an NVR system that's licensed for 24 cameras in 2015. Then when JCI took over, service...well...if you can still call it that, went to s*it. Our NVR has gone down several times since October of 2019. JCI even sent it back to ExacqVision. They sent it back saying it was "fixed". But the crashes keep happening. Right now we're using another ExacqVision NVR that's licensed for only 7 cameras until we either get the 24 camera system fixed or replace it completely.

I wasn't the one who approved the previous NVR purchase.
Specs:
Intel Core i3 3220
4GB RAM
Windows Embedded Standard
Here's the odd kicker:
Lsi Drive array in a RAID 5 config consisting of six 4TB drives.

Using the Storage needs calculator, for us to keep 30 days worth of video (10 FPS, H.264, High quality, etc.), it told me I'd need 6TB. Double that for 60 days.

I'm considering a really simple system and running Blue Iris on it. Specs:
Intel NUC8i3BEH (8th Gen core i3)
8GB RAM
Internal Crucial MX500 SSD - Boot drive
Windows 10 Pro
G-Technology USB C External 6TB drive -Video Storage

We have several Intel NUC's deployed throughout our company. Some run 24/7 & haven't had an issue.

Would the specs I've outlined be adequate? Thoughts?
Thixotropic

Re: Considering Blue Iris, any insight?

Post by Thixotropic »

I'm no expert, but at first glance the specs seem adequate for a BI system, but I'd recommend 16GB instead of 8.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Re: Considering Blue Iris, any insight?

Post by TimG »

I read about a 24 camera and 7 camera nvr in your post - how many actual cameras will you be using, and what resolution ?

If the ExacqVision nvr is a windows pc, then you already know if the pc spec's are adequate for what you have, but you may find BI5 to be more cpu hungry than some other nvrs. Have a look here to see if you can find a similar system https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.